Help please- motor pull

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Mitchell

Reaction score
HI all

I have just finished break in on my new boat. It is a 189 sport with a 200 opti. Runs and handles great except for a hard pull on the wheel at higher speed. I expected some pull but this seems abnormally strong. I did not opt for hydralic steering and I am now wondering if I should have? Does anyone know if this would help?

This is better left to the experts but what the heck. I will never own another boat with out power steering. Engine torque is what causes the pull.

BF

Sounds like your not trimmed up enough. Next time your out on the water trim it up a bit more a see if the torque pull is reduced.. hope this helps...

Does your motor have a trim tab? If so, it may need adjusting. Amazing what a little correction in that small item will do. Just adjusted my Evinrude tab this year, and did away with the hard pull I had at higher speeds.

Turn it (in small increments) in the same direction it is pulling. If it pulls to port, move the tab towards port.

Tex

200 without hydraulic steering? Man, that's your problem right there. The amount of torque an outboard that size puts out, you will have massive pull to one side without hydraulic steering. It should be standard on anything 175 HP or higher. Should be standard on 150's too, but it depends on the brand of boat.

I would put some steering on that boat YESTERDAY. The torque tab and trimming it won't make enough difference. You're trying to hang on to 200 ponies there, not meant to be done with straight cable steering.

Tex that large of engine is not going to have a trim tab at least ive not seen it that 200 has a lot of torque my last moter was a 115 had a lot of torque steer my 225 with power steering is like driving a car so I would see about power steering JD

There is no torque tab and Merc said it would not likely help on this size of engine. It pulls hard at WOT and revs about 5600-5700. It does want to pull right. I think most of you guys are right in that i should have hydraulic steering. I just didn't want to get it and find no difference. When i ordered my boat the dealer told me it was a waste of $ as it really would make no difference, hence my hesitation to get it now. I am assuming it is not too hard to install??? Thanks for the help

Don't know who your dealer is, but for what it's worth, it sounds like they don't know their boat from a hole in the ground. Any outboard 150 HP or more is going to exert a LOT of torque. Torque tabs will help some, but in my experience not enough to make long runs comfortable. That is why MOST boats with outboards that size come standard with hydraulic steering.

Also, I doubt very highly that the cable style steering is designed to withstand that kind of torque over a prolonged period of time. I played with the torque tab on my old 150 for weeks to no avail.

The hydraulic steering will be more reliable and stronger I believe, not to mention increase resale. It will also make the boat a lot easier to handle and will add safety. If you let go of that wheel at WOT for any reason right now, she's probably going to take a HARD right. With hydraulic steering, it will track straight. With hydraulic steering, you will still notice that the wheel turns harder one way then the other, especially at different RPM's, but the torque to one side on it's own will be eliminated.

Trust me, if it was a waste of money and had no real benefit, the pros would not get it on EVERY boat.

I have to agree with Brian. A motor that is trimmed correctly shouldn't be pulling to one side. Hydraulic steering would help ease the strain of steering the boat once it's trimmed out, but the pull to one side only is a torque factor. And that is a symptom of the prop shaft not being parallel to the surface of the water.

My boat has a 150 and it is harder to steer at WOT, but I don't get the pull to one side and I don't have a torque tab installed.

Find the boat's sweet spot and see if that doesn't fix your problem before you invest a lot of time and money in a different steering system.

Thanks for everyones help. Here are some answers to pmgoffjr questions

the prop is a Laser II 23 p

When trimmed up I am getting a fair rooster tail. The motor is set 3 1/2" off pad. I don

The tab Pat refers to is a high speed torque tab that mounts to the skeg. It's slightly angled to counter some right hand torque at speed. I'd recomend setup tweaking and seat time as well as the inexpensive skeg tab. (T&H Marine makes Hot foots, transom tougheners,...marine cast componants for boats. Google their name to find dozens of listings or consult your dealer or BPS.) Good luck!

Back