Help pick wheels for my Jeep

• Thread starter Teri C. [URL]http://www.quadratec.com/products/926
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
The wheel/rim I ordered for my silver Jeep Rubicon is not made yet (why is it on the web site then???) so I have to pick something else. Here are the few I have narrowed it down to. Which one do you like the best?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92605_4XX_A_PG.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92808_30XX_A_PG.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92804_30X_A_PG.htm

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92605_1XX_A_PG.htm

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...0073&t_pl=5452

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Se...0073&t_pl=5449
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92605_4XX_A_PG.htm

Ok that didn't happen like I thought it would. Never mind.

Im partial to these ones... I like the faux bead lock, they just look beefy.

83229-md.jpg

Recommended COAs:

1. Wait for the wheel you want.

2. Same wheel Jim B recces.

Gratuitous comment: If you aren't going to do that off-roading stuff with this wheel, get legitimate road tires and you'll have a much smoother ride. Save the off road tires/wheels and put them on when you go off-roading.

web3sm.JPG

Im partial to mine!!LOL!! Kind of old school Cragar SS looking. They are by American Racing. I get a lot of compliments on them (when I get off my lazy butt and polish them up). They have held up beyond belief. I took the OEM tires/rims off at 70,000 miles and put these rims on and I now have 260,000 on the rig. Those rims have never come off and have been underwater, under mud, covered in road salt and brake dust. They always polish right up with a little Mother's Mag Polish or Nev-R-Dull cloth. Some things to take into consideration.

1. Are you going to lift it?

2. Are you going to do any suspension mods?

I ask because I have been down this road before and tire/rim choice is an important one. If you are going to upsize your tires (most common mod by the way), you will need rim width to match. You have 2 options, 1 lift the truck to clear the tires or 2 get a bigger offset in the rims. I put skyjacker shocks on my jeep when the OEM's wore out and added an additional steering stabilizer up front. That did not and will not lift the truck. I have oversize tires and wider than stock rims (8")but compensated by getting offset rims. It also widened the "stance of the jeep by pushing the tires out. I do get some fenderflare rub (I've been meaning to get some aftermarket flares) because of the rubbing and the fact that some cattle thought my flares were good to chew on, andyou have to be aware of your state's inspection regs because if more than 1" of tread is outside the fenderwell, they can fail you. Oversize fender flares gets around this. I am at or over that with the stock flares but out here in the sticks, they are a little more forgiving. Sooooooo, what width rim you want and the amount of offset you can put under your truck need to be examined as well as the "stylin'":lol::lol:

Cass, that was my point before, a lot of people don't like the "harsher" ride of a vehicle designed to truly go offroad and after they "pretty up" their rigs with suspension mods, it only gets worse!!:lol: Personally, my jeep (with the old leaf suspension) has been my daily driver and offroad toy since I got it new off the showroom floor in April of 1993 in Medway, MA. It's been in the mountains of Vermont to surf fishing on the beach in Florida, sunk up to the doorframes in mud and on logging roads getting to trout streams. My plan was to give it to my son when he went to college...didn't happen!!:lol: My plan is now to give it to my daughter when she goes to college (she's 11) we'll see:p I've been offered a lot of $$ for it because it is one of the most sought after for modding, I just can't part with my baby:wub::lol:

TOXIC

Tox,

I wonder if you bought the Jeep from my uncle? He used to be the sales guy at that dealership when it was still around. I actually forgot it was even a Jeep place until you mentioned it, i live about 2 miles from where that dealer was and grew up in that same area. They closed thier doors a long time ago and its been a used car place and many other things since.

No kidding!!! When I lived in Plainville, I went to every jeep dealer within 30 miles and told them I didn't want to haggle and to give me the best price on a new Wrangler and to price the options seperately. When I went to Medway (I still think I have the card in my owners manual from the salesman) he asked me how much I thought he should make on the sale. He asked me if $200 was too much and I told him absolutely not. He came back to me with a number and told me that he would sell me anything I wanted to add on at his cost. When I got all done, the quote he gave me was $197 over base (I had a service through my credit union that gave us true base #'s). Everybody else was 1-2,000 higher. For options I got AC, The High Output 4.0, soft top, and a few other things. Great experience.

Spent a lot of time at the Ice Cream Machine in Cumberland and the North End Deli in Plainville as well as Ocean Fresh Seafood. I lived out by the Cumberland Reservoir in the country. Man I liked living there!!

TOXIC

You all are making me long for the days of my 1974 CJ5. V8, 4bbl, locking hubs, big arsh tires. rag top and an AM radio. But would pull tree stumps (literally: we did). but according to the safety industry experts, not safe or stable on the road (but we regularly got sideways off the road without issue). Go figure.

You all are making me long for the days of my 1974 CJ5. V8, 4bbl, locking hubs, big arsh tires. rag top and an AM radio. But would pull tree stumps (literally: we did). but according to the safety industry experts, not safe or stable on the road (but we regularly got sideways off the road without issue). Go figure.

Well, I had a 73 with fenderwell headers as well:lol: I could get out of that truck and walk alonside it when it was in "Granny Low" and it would idle up hills that most 4X4's were scared of!!:eek: I only had an AM radio also but I had a nifty 8-track player under the drivers seat.....well until I got stuck in a pond and the water was over the bottom of the seat:lol: I had a head-on accident with an 18-wheeler on the interstate with that jeep. :(

TOXIC

Glad you guys got some use out of this thread. :)

I understand your concerns about using the Jeep as a daily driver; however, have you driven the JK (4 door Wrangler). I am not saying it's smooth as a BMW, it rides more like a truck. I think they have improved alot of things from the older model Jeeps. The hard top I have cuts down alot of the wind noise and comes in 3 pieces. 2 pieces I can take off by myself and the 3rd is easily done with 2 people. Not near as heavy as the old hard tops. The touch screen radio/navigation they put in this thing is awesome! I can't say much for the stock seats but I planned on having mine redone anyway. It's actually at the shop now getting leather and heat installed. Easier to clean up from the dogs. They make a few cool covers for when its really hot and the top is off.

For towing, I wouldn't say it's the greatest but for what I do it's fine. The wheelbase is actually longer and wider than my BMW. Just have to take it nice and easy and all is well. I live 2 miles for the ramp I go to 75% of the time. If I sell the cabin in Indy, I don't see too many long towing trips. Maybe once or twice a year.

Who knows if I will keep this. My history is not good. Ha! But I think I will enjoy it while I have it. I plan on attending a few of the Jeep Jamborees this year which should be fun.

I'll let you know how I really like it after I've had it a year. :D

I have no doubt the new suspension (lemme see...been re-vamped twice since my model year) is a lot smoother than mine. I have a lift made by Jeep to take my hard top off. Mine is not so easy, I have to unbolt my roll bar to put the soft top hardware on. They are truly amazing vehicles off road, you will like the Jamborees. I took my neighbor out to an old logging road next to the river and after about 2 hours of playing on some pretty nasty stuff in the snow and mud, he was commenting on how well it did. I looked down and noticed that although my 4WD indicator light was on, I never got it all the way into 4WD with the floor shifter....we had been climbing some pretty intense stuff in 2WD!!:lol: If/When you get ready to sell yours let me know, I have been toying with getting another.

TOXIC

Toxic, I have a feeling when I get done with this Jeep I won't have any problems selling it. Hopefully, I will like it enough to keep it. I will post some pics when I get the seats and wheels done. I am going to keep stock tires (32's) and not lift it for awhile. I like it the way the Rubicon comes standard. I am anxious for it to warm up enough to run it with the top. I am looking around for a used soft top. Gives me something to do. Buy parts instead of buying new cars. Ha!

Teri you still have the cabin here ????? JR

Yes, I still have it but put it up for sale last summer. It's just a bad time to sell. Hoping the spring brings someone with funds.

Terry - Drop me an email on the cabin, Beka and I have been looking for mountain and lake cabins for a summer/vacation get away.

Trep, I can send you the info if you want it but it seems like it would be a long way for you from Atlanta. I would say 7-8 hours to southern Indiana. It's not right on the lake. It's about a 2 mile drive. Lots of yard for kids to play but needs mowed. I pay a guy there $35 to mow it every other week. The lake is great for fishing but seems far for you. Let me know if you are still interested.

Latest posts

Back