Help me understand the logic

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
I've been racking up the Rewards points on my BPS card and finally compiled enough to try to get something decent on points alone. The missuz agreed to let me buy another pistol, one that I wouldn't care so much if it got a few dings and scratches in it. Basically I wanted something I could toss in the truck and take with me.

We went out to the local BassPro and I found one of the guns I was considering. I took my Baskin Robbins Ice Cream ticket number and waited in line like everybody else. When it was my turn, I told the guy that if he had one of that model new in the box, I'd take it. He checked in the back and told me that the only one they had was the display model. I looked at it, and it was already all dinged and scratched up, and they were charging full price. I said 'no' and walked away.

A little while later I thought "What the heck, it's already dinged up. At least I won't shed a tear when I put another scratch in it like I would if I put the first scratch in it." I got back in line, and told a different sales agent that I'd consider buying the display model, but not at full price since it was already damaged. He went and got the box first (a mistake) and then took the gun out of the case and went to the department manager who looked it over. They were willing to knock $20 off the price. That was less than 5%! WHAT???? I declined, which made the sales guy mad.

I can't understand how an already damaged pistol hasn't lost 10% of its value off the bat. I find NIB models of this particular pistol online for less than what BPS is charging, and even factoring in the cost of shipping and a FFL transfer fee, I wouldn't be paying what they were offering for that display model.

This happened when I bought my .22 Sig Mosquito - nothing in back, just the display model. It makes me wonder if they even carry inventory, or if "what you see is what you get."

Can somebody help me understand the logic here?

Mo

Maybe I can help you out. At my store we try to keep the inventory built up the best we can. This is difficult as Bass Pro gets a "lot" of guns to distribute to all 43 stores. Don'T ASK me how the decide who gets how many of what. let say my store gets a lot of pistols. maybe 25 assorted Taurus. One of each modle gets on display the rest are held in the back room locked up. The display only get sold last. We will order a new gun if the customer wants or pull one in from another store with one nib. but it usually takes a couple days. A lot of costomers opt to get the display because they don;t want to wait. It may have some wear marks but is totally functional with full warrenites. you go to a gun show most the time you buy the one on the table that everyone has touched and you pay the price you negoiate with the dealer.

The margin on a new rifle pistol, shotgun is not huge. So the discount for displays will be minimal and a act of good part by us to get you to buy that gun. My store has a huge area behing the gun counter that is mostly full with rifles, shotguns and hand guns. We are usually several deep in the most popular modles when we can get them. So to answer your question most stores have HUGE inventories in the back. It is difficult to keep enough of the popular modles on hand as they are doled out to us according to someone else's idea of what we will sell. Some of these pistols like "The Judge" "Springfield XPM" some of the lighter S&W carry type pistols are never available from the factories in the quanities we'd like to have.

Knocking of $20 isn't too bad. I've seen quite a few times where the next guy that comes and looks at the pistol and wants the display could care less if he got $20 or not. One thing for sure. The display modles always sell. If the MOD (manager of the Day) offers you 20 and you like the gun l'd jump on it or have him trasfer one in and wait to paid the full monte.

My store doesn't have the baskin robbin ticket maching. You just walk up and say Howdy if you haven't be approached already and asked to be helped.

Hope this helps

fatrap

I had to take the display when I bought my S&W M&P .40 cal. Luckily it was in great shape.

Gene

Our Cinci BPS sucks so bad anymore...I just go to my local Gander Mountain.

They NEVER have anything that's advertised....too many 120 mile round trips for nuthin'.

:angry:

I think that FatRap has given a pretty good description. With the overall demand on weapons today, I'm not thinking that many distributors are going to do 'scratch and dent' sales.

Order the new one that you want, and they will get it for you.

Tex

Not only weapons but Fishing gear as well. For example, every BPS store I have been at, the last being one in Ft Lauderdale, they are having a hard time getting and keeping SPRO frogs, especially the popping frogs. Tried to set up a drop ship direct with the Richmond store and it didn't work. If you ask BPS it's that SPRO doesn't ship enough and if I ask my handler at SPRO it's that the BPS buyers don't order correctly. Very frustrating to do a seminar on the frogs and not have them in the store. Ah, the joys of retail!! I'm sure BPS stocks the most of any product that will give them the most profit margin i.e, BPS, XPS brand but if the customer wants a specific product, they are SOL.

I might be working in the Ft Lauderdale and Orlando stores a little, I'll keep you posted.

TOXIC

Tox,....Here's a little tip for ya,.....check the inventory/shelves BEFORE you do a seminar!!:eek::rolleyes:;)

Thanks MAC Daddy...I do how else do you think I know they're not there????:lol: :lol:

The magic of the tank is a wonderful thing. The Florida locations all want me for shows/seminars, seems that most of their pro-staff don't like to do store work??? Go figure.

TOXIC

Tox,

BPS San Antonio has plenty of them - both popping and regular. I was just in there last week, and the shelves were stocked. Wish they didn't cost so dang much though - I'd like more in my tackle box. :wub:

The only part of that store that calls me to do anything is the marine counter - they call me for Lowrance issues and questions. Otherwise, I havn't worked any other part of the store. Guess I "don't know enough about rods and reels" to work with the fishing counter guys. :lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Tox - When you get to Dania, tell Billy Bob Big Dan says Hey! I did their grand opening and first Spring Classic many moons ago. Great store and the IGFA across the pond is a blast!

As a matter of fact, I decided to slip over to the IGFA since I was so close. Nice place, it was during the week and there wasn't a soul in there but me. Since I had my BPS ID on they let me in for free and I had the run of the place. Gotta say it was the first time I ever went to the movies and I was the only one in the theater:lol: That was a cool movie and the displays were top notch. I spoke to the Fishing Manager and the GM of the store and it was obvious they were frustrated with their pro-staff (just let some go as a matter of fact). Seems they thought fishing tournaments was all they had to do to satisfy their contract. Common misconception. They are 4-5 hours away from me here in JAX but they were really adamant about me coming down to do some shows. I have an email into corporate to clear it....I ain't no fool!! :p

TOXIC

Some of these pistols like "The Judge" "Springfield XPM" some of the lighter S&W carry type pistols are never available from the factories in the quanities we'd like to have.

Mike, I suspect this is a buying/inventory management problem, not a factory problem. We have a steady stable of small dealers in our state who regularly display at the local gun show circuit. They routinely have good quantities of popular models, with the possible exception of just introduced models. BPS is applying "big box" retail inventory management to the firearms category, and while it may be fiscally prudent in terms of buying and carrying costs, it's a weak hand to play in the local gun market, which is very mom-and-pop and gunshow dominated. The smaller dealers have a more precise understanding of what's moving in the local gun market, and often do a better job of carrying the right inventory mix. BPS does a lot of things well. I don't feel that their centralized management of firearms inventory serves customers particularly well.

Saw the same thing with boats. I can't tell you how many times I shook my head at a $30K or $40K bass boat sitting on the sales floor, for endless months, with BLACK seats and CHARCOAL colored carpets. This in Georgia, where six months a year you can fry an egg on black vinyl.

Getting big is both good and bad. I am grateful to have a BPS down the street from me. But I miss the character of the store from ten years ago, when it felt like a mom-and-pop shop, despite the size of the place.

Back