Help me decide on a boat...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
Okay, I think I have talked my wife into at least letting me make an offer on this boat that I saw on e-bay but didn't sell. They had $4,500 as their reserve price and I was thinking of offering $4,050 because that was my highest bid. The boat is a 1999 Skeeter/G3 17ft boat with an Motor Guide TM, center deck rod storage, nice full deck front and back, live well, tackle storage, and depth finder at the console. The boat also has a 2001 75 hp Mercury Tracker motor that I would have tested first. The boat would probably need a carpet cleaning, for sure a new cover, and it will need some repair work done on the bench seats where a seam ripped. Do you think that is a decent deal for that boat...also, if I find that by spring I can't afford to keep it do you think I should be able to sell it for at least what I have in it?

Ethan,

You are asking us about not being able to afford it before you have even bought it!! that to me sounds like right now may not be the best time to make such a purchase.

Boat ownership is costly, especially if the boat is out of warranty and you have a problem which could be very costly. The boat may just sit and if you are making payments that is a hard thing to swallow.

You need to take a hard look if your are financially sound for this purchase, if not wait 6 months or a year. After all you are only talking about a 4k boat investement and are concerned you might not be able afford that. I know it sucks, but take it from me I went throught all of that and then some, and when the time is right you will know it. Boat ownership is a great thing, I have now since had four boats in the last seven years, but alas I waited until my ducks were in a row!

Just a thought to ponder!!!

Mark,

From the left coast who went to the Ranger Dark Side!!

Hey, thanks for the advice...very sound thinking. I probably should have written that a little differently. The money is there, that is not a problem because we would pay cash for the boat. But, we do have a boat now, it's just not a true fishing boat. It is probably best described as a deep-v aluminum boat with a piece of plywood covered with carpet as a deck and NO storage. That boat is an 1988 Starcraft, but the motor is a '78 Johnson 70hp. So, the thinking is that we might be able to make some money on this, or come spring we might decide that this boat suits us more than the other one, especially since it is newer. And, if it is a good deal??? Is it??? We might not be able to find one like this for a while...especially in the spring. Also, we had considored the possibility of swapping motors...how much do you think the '01 Merc is worth alone? I believe the average NADA value is $3,500 or so...do you think that's true?

Thanks for the help!

Six year old boat from a individual is a pig in a poke.

It might be the best deal ever, it might be your worst nightmare. Until you inspect it, you should expect the worse, and maybe you'll be happily suprised.

Motor should be thoroughly inspected, go over the entire boat to check for structural damage, the perephial equipment is mouse nuts compared to the hull and engine.

Then you'll have some sort of idea of true value.

Ethan, I wouldn't buy the boat unless you intend on using and keeping it for a little while. I don't think it would be wise to purchase this boat, put money into it and try to sell it for more. It's arisk for sure. If the owner had a hard time selling it for his price on ebay where millions of people can view it. You might have a hard time selling it locally to a smaller demographic of people.

I plan on taking it to a tech to have the motor and boat checked out. Supposing that it checks out okay...is it a fair price for a boat like that?

Thanks for the tips!

Sound advice one and all. I guess I need to just sit down wife my financial advisor...wife...and figure out if we can sell the other boat and just have this one...or if I'm really lucky maybe she'll let me have both!!!

ahh heck ethan dont worry about it go get a 12 year loan for $200 a month. yor wife will get over it.

Back