help! I can't drive

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Joyner

Reaction score
Ok, in my last post I confessed this ('98 Nitro 884 Savage, Mercury 150, EFI) was my first boat (had it a week now). The previous owner did go out with me after I purchesed his boat. I got the jist of getting up on plane and launch and loading but...

I seem to porpise regardless of trim level. The book says after getting up on plane trim up to an intermediate level... well all the intermediate levels I've used I bounce like a bobber, especially when curving right or left and also when cutting into other boats wakes..

Aside from riding with me (open invitation to do that btw, Ceasars Creek Lake, Harveysburg Oh is my turf) can anyone help me to be a smoother driver?

Thanks,

--phil

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt...

After getting on plane, you bump the trim up in spurts, as you apply more throttle...

If you are porpoising, add more throttle or trim back down till it evens out.

Seat time is what it takes....

Tuck under all the way, get on plane (give it all the throttle) once on plane, you can back off the throttle some and then start adjusting the throttle (more) and trim (up) as you increase speed.

Thanks Sim, does this apply to the bouncing during turns as well or once I've gotten smooth should the turns be smooth as well ?

THanks again..

--phil

Turns are mostly the same.... you're probably trying to turn like you would a car, (turn the wheel and keep it turned until your headed the direction you want...) What you need to do is remember that in a boat, you're going to make "wide" turns... and while making the turn, occasionally "straighten her out", and then turn some more...

Like others have said, it's basically just seat time. When I got my Stratos (95, 18', 150hp), I had all the same problems that you are experiencing. Just takes some time. Also, when I recently had my prop cleaned up, my 'process' had to change. That gives you some idea on how 'small changes' can have large effects.

For me, the porposing problem is solved by one of two things.

I need to go faster, or trim down. It's a feel thing.

Tex

Phil,

I believe one of the problems you have in turning is that the boat loses more speed in proportion to the angle of the turn.Like Sim said, wide turns keep your speed level up enough to limit porpoising. Losing speed can cause the boat to porpoise and also the angle that you enter a wake can do the same. Seat time and experimentation are the best remedy!;)

Tom

Bass Boats normally do not like low speeds. If you had it on plane and were running smooth you need more speed, I'll bet you were pampering her too much...Ya gotta let her eat!!

TOXIC

Man, I gotta second, third, and fourth Toxic's words there -- let her eat!!!! But hell, I only have ONE speed (WOT)...:cool:

On sharper turns you will get more control if you trim down going into them...

david

Back