Help fixing hole in Tracker 185

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Toohey

Reaction score
Well I found my leak. I fill the bilge area today to find out where I was taking on water. I thought It was a livewell problem.

I found I small hole in the center of the hull (around the area of the bench seats) It looks like curosion. The hole is only about half the size of a pencil eraser. There are also two other small damaged spots, but I do not think they are trough the hull yet.

How should I fix these holes? All ideas appreciated. I was thinking of trying JB Water Weld epoxy first, or should I just go have it welded? The JB did wonders on my jon boat.

Thanks

Bill

I am also concerned about what other damage tis leak has caused.

What year is your 185. when I bought my 165 I was told that the hull was fully protected for life, if your the original owner I would think that this should be covered and yes I do have this statement in writing.

It is a 2000, and I am not the origonal owner. I can't believe I did not see the hole when I bought the boat. I think it is on me to fix.

Bill,

If it's corrosion,it may be caused by a bad ground. I would hook up a test light between the positive battery terminal and the hull of the boat to see any thing is grounded to the hull.

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it,but I do know that running the ground through the hull will cause the aluminum to pit and corrode.

You'll have to make sure it's SUPER dry (the foam that is) or the water inside will keep blowing the hole out and making it bigger...trust me, been there and done that on a leaking 94' model.

Take it to someone who has that experience.....an inexperienced welder will make it worse:(

Back