Hatch Gas Assist Pistons

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Aasen

Reaction score
Anybody ever added gas assist pistons to their hatchs? I get really tired of holding up the hatches when digging for gear. The front one is the most frustrating. I've been hit in the head a number of times! Was thinking about adding something to help hold them up. I think Ranger boats come with the pistons standard. If anyone has done it to a Nitro, let me know what was involved.

NoCAL

Someone here added either pistons or springs. Check the grab bag, it might be in there.

Rich D

NoCal - The Nitro NX series and 9 series boats all come with the gas shocks on the hatches, its the 600/700 and the old 185 sport that doesnt (along I think with most of the Aluminum rigs). The new 189 Sport has a gas shock in the front big compartment.

I added the Spring style to my Pro Crappie 175 Rod Locker and Rear battery hatch. The spring is the same one used in the 2000/2001 Pro Crappie Live well.

You can ask Craig or Kathy at Tracker Detriot to order some, or your local dealer.

The Gas Shocks are nicer but more expensive too.

NoCal, I added gas assist rods to a Nitro 170. I added them to the 2 rod boxes and the battery compartment. I bought them at West marine for around 20 bucks a piece plus some additional hardware you will need. Just make sure you measure correctly before you drill or the lid won't close or it won't come up far enough. I made the mistake of the lid not shutting all the way the first time I put one in. If you are near a boat place I would stop in and check out how they installed them on their boats.

I did what Al did on my 170 DC. They work great and no more broken rod tips from the lid slamming down on them.

fatrap

NoCal

I had looked into adding gas pistons to my 188 as well but never followed through. I considered Trep's Spring idea and also gas pistons. When examining the front hatches, I wasn't sure how they could be mounted.

Please keep us informed if you follow through with this since it is something I would like to add as well. The large front hatch is a killer to hold open when you are trying to grab something in it.

Thanks

Paul

I store my hospital type urinal in my starbord rod locker try having the lid snap shut when your using that!

fatrap

I'll go check out West Marine. The dealer has a 9 series boat in the showroom. I'll go take a look at how they mounted them in it.

Thanks,

NoCAL

Back