Has anyone put a Kicker on a 2001 ProTeam 175 (Stupid Newbie Question)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glaser

Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Tracker and live near a 9.9 HP lake restriction. The lake is HUGE and I am swapping my MG Trolling Motor with a 24V Minnkota 74lb thrust motor.

The problem is that I don't think it will get me out and back...

I was thinking of buying a smaller kicker 9.9 or smaller to mount on the transom.

Is there a kicker bracket or mount that anyone knows of that will work...I am not sure I can do this due to weight...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Woody

Hi Woody,

Why dont yopu just put a 9.9 on there and swap out when you decide to go to some big lakes. I guess my decision would be based on how much you will fish that lake. If its your primary lake, there would be no other option for me.

There are transom mounts for kicker motors. They have them at west marine. Click the link at the bottom.

I also have a PT 175 and was toying with the same thing you are. I have 4, 9.9 lakes by me and I have a 50HP. If I decide to fish those lakes regularly, I am just going to put a 4stroke 9.9 on mine and religiously fish those lakes for the year. If I have any incling of going anywhere else. I will leave my 50 on and just trolling motor where I fish now.

Another option I toyed with is one of those high power electric motors you mount to your regular engine. the only problem with that is the batteries. I guess if you really wanted to you coud put 2-3 batteries up front for one of those. But If I were going through all of that I would just mount the 9.9.

Just my opinion.

Have a good one,

Jaws
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?catalogId=10001&Ntx=

Woody - I've mounted an electric kicker motor (55lb Minnkota) to the back of my 02 PT175 on the transom, to the left of the main motor - plenty of room without needing a bracket of any sort. And that include room for steering. I would imagine the 9.9 would fit as well. Pretty easy to mount up and see. You can also use the fuel line from the 50hp to supply the 9.9hp. As for weight, I wouldn't worry too much as the Tracker transoms are pretty strong. What's the 9.9hp weight? About 60 pounds or so? At that weight, my guess is you aren't going to stress the transom beyond design limits even with the 50hp still there. Afterall, the boat was designed to handle the weight and thrust of a 75hp motor max.

Jaws,

What is the mount called. I couldn't get the link to show me.

I was thinking a smaller kicker tiller that I can take on and off. The lake right the road is huge and would take forever to navigate with an electric...I was thinking of a permanent transom mount to secure to the boat and use the kicker as needed.

I think one of my concerns is about how much weight the transom can handle???

Thanks so much for the input. If you could just give me the name or model number and I could look it up on Westmarine's site.

Thanks Again,

Woody

Woody,

Go to west marine.com and then search for motor mount. You will see all of the products.

Jaws

call tracker and see what they recomend. they might even help with placement of bracket.

mike

Thanks so much for all the positive imput.

Since I only have a 40HP I am hoping the additional weight might NOT be a factor!!!

Does anyone have a contact at Tracker or a number for Technical?

Thanks Again...I can see that this site is just what the Dr ordered.

Best Regards

Woody

Todd and Gang,

Thanks AGAIN...

What specific mount did you buy and was it installed at a Tracker Dealer? May I ask the price of installation?

Thanks Again everyone...I may know where an old eight Mercury might be for sale?

Do you use the same gas fitting for both motors and gas feed?

Thanks in advance

Woody

Thanks Todd

Did I say this is an awesome SITE !!!!

Thanks Again,

Woody

Back