Has anyone ever used a humminbird dual beam or quad beam transducer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a humminbird dual beam or quad beam transducer or wideside? I just bought a Matrix 67 and I'm trying to decide which trolling motor tranducer to purchase (dual, quad or wide side)?

Gees, I would have thought that any of us with humminbirds would have used one or the other? :D

I've taken a cursory look at transducer discussion on the Humminbird site; under Technology Edge, under Sonar. It gives good descriptions of the three types you are considering. I didn't see anything that recommends one over the other for this or that application.

Does the matrix 67 take all three? I guess it must or you wouldn't be asking the question.

I will look tonight and see if I can craft together some good advice.

You may want to e-mail Greg Walters [resident Humminbird expert] at [email protected] and ask him.

No I have not used one of these transducers but this is a good place to post this. Transducer Exchange Program. Wife got me a 565 Hummingbird for christmas for the bow of the 901, I seen this exchange program in the owners manual. I got on there website the transducer that came with the unit sells for 59.95 the one that fits the trolling motor (puck style) is 64.95 it says to send yours back with the difference in price un opened with all hardware. Did not say nothing about shipping, so I tried to call no answer this was the day after christmas, closed I guess. Sent it US mail, on Dec 26, Jan 3 UPS delivered the new transducer to me. This is great service and a lot cheaper than buying a new transducer or buying the kit to put the transom style on the trolling motor. This was for anyone that does not know about this program, and to say that Hummingbird has great service IMO.:D:D

Paul - I'll be able to tell ya in a few weeks, I just replaced today my dualbeam with the HUGE quad beam on my Tmotor for my 383c. I've used the quad on my 787c2 and what it realy seems to help with is the wider side beam, its not the SI imaging its like the below view but farther out to each side.

After reveiewing the Matrix 67 manual again [which clearly shows the areas each type covers] my only recommendation is to see which one fits the lakes you fish and your style of fishing, plus how you use your finder. I primarily use mine to keep me afloat and off the bottom. The dual beam seems to do that very well [knock on wood]. However, after reading the description of the wide side, I think that would be a good second choice for me as I often find myself among shad balls or shad in action. That wide side view might show me that there are bass feeding or within vicinity of the shad. It would also help me "see" what is hanging around all the stumps in these KS and MO lakes. I think you have to go through that kind of thought process as well and pick the one that fits your style.

I have the quad beam too, and many times I have idled out of the creek where I launch the boat and painted shad schools 50-60 ft. off to one side, turned toward the shad and caught spots working the shad (not on top). I would have passed those bait schools by without that wider view.

jag

Thanks Guys, I went over to humminbirds website after Marty mentioned it and yes the Matrix supports all 3 types, no side imaging though :-( . I think I may go with the tri/quad, can you select different view (like turning off the side wide beams)?

Does the display look like a regular fish finder? The pictures on Humminbirds website, for the quad beam, were not very good.

http://www.humminbird.com/productLines_wide.asp?id=794

Back