Has anyone ever hit a bag?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william Clark

Reaction score
Rolling down the river the other day and slowed to a no wake by a campground. Got through that jumped on plane and prop acted like it was blowing out some which happens at times with my new boat that I haven't gotten to know all the way yet and then my buzzer goes off. I shut down immediatly at seeing my smart craft gauge reading 190 degrees. Raised up motor and nothing was there, maybe it came off when coming off plane? Anyway started the motor and ran slowly and everything seemed fine.

Being close to the campground docks would it be safe to assume it could have been an ice bag blocking water intakes? Do you think I have done any damage? I shut down immedialty when I got off plane so I didn't have time to check my water pressure gauges or anything first. This is a new motor with 14 hours on it so I am sweating it for sure. Thanks, Clark

Attached is a pic of the new ride. 06 Ranger 188vs 150 optimax.

188vs-004rsize.jpg

Nice Boat!!!

Steel Branch or Nonesuch?

We've been catching good smallies down at nonesuch, but you can just about walk across all the Carp we've been seeing....

I doubt you did any damage, you shut down quickly... probably clogged the water intake (on the other side of the motor) and reduced the pressure...when you trimmed up the motor the bag just stayed behind...

Nice boat Clark

ah yes LOL, I had that experience but I was in a small jon boat, 15 hp WOT in the middle of Ky. lake when I hit a plastic bag. This boat was dead in the water. Took me about 30 minutes to cut that plastic off of the prop and lower unit. It was like painted on. The water had a nice chop that day and I almost feel in the drink several times.

Clark, Same thing happened to me in Hopatcong Lake in NJ just the other day, I was talking about it with TomMac from this board.

In any event I was fishing in some real thick weeds for about an hour, then left the area, first 5-10 minutes is no wake, as soon as I got on plane, I had severe prop slippage/cavatation. Could not get the bow down, tried again, same results, all of sudden heat light and buzzer go crazy and then the motor shuts down by itself. :(:(, raised o/b and there had to be a good wheel barrow full of weeds around the lower unit.

I was worried I messed it up bad. Waited 5 minutes tried again, and overheated again. now I was very worried.

Waited 10 minutes this time, o/b fired up, water prssure was fine and off I went. No signs of damage the rest of the night.

I think your okay.

BTW - Sweet Ranger you got , congrats and good luck

Thanks all. I have been really liking this boat so far. Top speed so far 56 though. Plan on adding a plate, raising the motor some later.

Sim I was out of Steele Branch. I have lost the smallies here lately. Are they deeper on gravel bar points or what. The carp are doing the same up this way. What are they doing? Is it an o2 thing or is it their time for love again? There was almost no flow Sat evening.

Clark

The smallies seem to be on two types of structure... gravel points/bars (around creak mouths) and the "rip rap" style points... the biggest thing we've been doing is to keep the jig (we've caught most of ours on jig/pig) in contact with the rock and ticking it off of them... problem is the occasional line stripping action of a 6-10# drum! Make sure you fish from the bank down to about 8-10'. (on the upstream side).

LM and spots have been very tight to the logs/blowdowns....

Tubes we're working this past weekend... 3/16oz T-Rigs... We've also done the majority of our fishing from the lock downstream to about 1/2 way between the locks....

Like you said, darn near no current... parts of Lock 7 are actually "dry"....

I don't know what the carp are doing... I also thought it might have something to do with the o2, but I've since decided that they are just really amazingly stupid fish... they were swimming up to the boat! One castnet and I could've easily caught 20-30 of them!

If a person was a bowfisherman it would be ideal. They are doing the same thing up this way exactly.

Bag..No....But....The water was a bit rough on Lake Hopatcong NJ and only running half speed, and suddenly the boat cameto a very sudden halt and engine shuts down. Scared the crap out of me and luckily nobody was hurt.

To make a long story short, the piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting I hit was about a 6x9 piece. Must have blown off someones dock! Ouch!! Only in NJ!!

i was with gary one night fishing the potomac, we decide to head in around 11;30 and hit a crab trap that was not marked. it took gary 20 minutes hanging off the back of the boat with a flash light to cut it free.

mike

Back