hand held GPS

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sisco Sisk

Reaction score
Greetings All.

Recently fished a tourney on Bull Shoals and finally realized the value of having GPS. It would have been very difficult to navigate without it since everywhere you looked were bluffs, rocks or pea gravel. I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive handheld unit since I won't use it alot and was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right dircetion. I guess I'm looking for one that I could load hotspot maps on if they make a handheld that does that. Thanks

Do a SEARCH here on the site....you'll find HUNDREDS of responses.

Sisko, I have the Magellan Sportrak Map model. It is some what limited on what you can load into it, and has no external antenna (the 2 drawbacks that I conceded for the price). It is easy to use, and has some nice features for navigation.

Don,

Thanks for the heads-up about the LobsterMount product. I think it may do the trick :)

General info for readers: A mount for a variety of hand-held products (and made in the USA!)

http://www.lobstermount.com

I recently started using a Lowrance ifinder H20 with a Hot Spots SD Lake Card and I love it. It tracks where I am and draws a trail of where I've been. I can save locations and I run it off the boat battery because it comes with a cigarette lighter adapter. It also is a good navigational tool in the truck. It is waterproof.

Da Bear

Garmin GPSMAP 76 with Hot Spots, have had it for about 1 year now and love it...

Sisco,

Something to consider would be the ability to use the NMEA output from whatever hand held GPS unit you get with your depth sounder. This could give you the ability to save waypoints on your depth sounder and possibly create trackplots (breadcrumb trails) and routes as well.

Greg Walters at Humminbird

I've been using a Magellan Sportrak Map also. Like Don says, it has some map loading limitations, but it gets me around fine, has been easy to use and has held up for 3 fishing seasons so far!

Didn't have to spend a lot of bucks and it gets the job done.

I recently picked up a garmin legend c. It's a nice little unit. The base map isn't that great though. I'm ordering city select for more street and lake detail.
pt-etrexLegendcRF-LG.jpg

Back