Gunwale Ster Caps Replaced/Upgraded

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Meyer

Reaction score
Recently I was in a group of "members" who have replaced the stern cap on one side of the gunwale on my Tracker. Someone else needed to do the same. Thought I would share some info. The original caps (on mine) were riveted to the top of the gunwale and that of course is what broke when the cap came in contact with a dock and then flew into the air, subsequently settling somewhere on the bottom of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Okay, so my "upgrade" solution was to go from an aluminum pop rivet to a 3/16th stainless sheet metal screw AND befor mounting the cap...I cut away the carpet that would be hidden underneath...cleaned (sanded) the surface till rough/bright and then applied a "wad" of two part (mixed of course) 3M marine epoxy before screwing it down...Bet the next time the dock gets a big "ding" and my cap stays on the boat!!!!

great idea, hasn't happened to me yet, but if/when the day comes, that sounds like the way to go for repair, by the way, i must have a stack an inch thick of posts i've seen and printed out to use for future reference, best of luck, egMike

greg,you going to rebuild that one piece at a time!!!

i was going to replace my cap on the bow due to a hole they drilled in it,the rigger who mounted them stupid jacknuts in it!!its a hole around 3/4",but hey the transducer wire fits through the hole perfectly!!!

just remember the bow stop scarf marks!

Back