Gun safe

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Butler

Reaction score
any suggestions on how to control dampness in my gun safe. safe has a musty smell i attribute it to moisture. any products out ther to control moisture. for now i leave the door open a couple hours a day when iam home.

Davey

Two ways, a rod that you plug into a wall socket. This will keep "warm" and help keep the moisture out.

The other way are the small buckets that you open and they wick the moisture out of the air.

Make sure all the stuff is dry when you put them away..slings and stuff. Also, if you do nto have any signs of moisture, it may just be the slings, lether etc smelling due to the safe being airtite.

Carlos

They sell a product at the grocery store (Wal-Mart) called Damp-rid it comes like Carlos said in small plastic containers. Simply open the top and place it in a stable location and then empty it out per directions. But I think the most important thing is finding where the source of the moisture is coming from. Where do you keep it in the cellar our garage ect. Otherwise it should be as dry as the house is.

Good Luck,

The Dragon

Davey,on page 7 of Cabela's reloading catalog there are 3 or 4 different things to keep your safe dry.Silica Gel,Dehumidifer and some sort of a heat rod.

I save all of my silica "Don't eat this" packets from whatever products they come in. Put a few in the safe, replace them every once in a while.

You can get dessicant in volume cheap at a camera store. Small sizes are great for tackle box use. (New shoes' box size.) I use a larger size that can be baked (and baked, and baked.....) to recharge drying capabilities for my gun vault. The big ones usually have an indicator that goes from pink (dry) to blue (damp). When blue, bake it as directions call and replace in the safe. Most shops sell pack of indicators as well. Mine is probably 10 yrs. old now and still does a great job. I think I paid $10-ish for it. Good luck and "keep your powder (and guns) dry!"

Latest posts

Back