Guest Charger/Maintainer?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD Johnson

Reaction score
I need some advice on a charger/maintainer. I have an '05 Nitro 189 Sport. I want to put a Guest charger/maintainer on it to keep the batteries fresh over the winter and while I am not using it much during these chemo treatments.

I currently have 1 trolling battery and one start battery with room to add another trolling battery.

My question is which charger should I get that will allow for the additional battery should I choose to and would be the most economical to do the job? Shold I even worry about addiing the extra battery right now?

Thanks in advance.

JDJ

If you are not going to be using the boat for a while, you may want to hold off on getting the extra battery. However, if you are going to eventually add the third battery, I would suggest going with the Guest 2631 charger - 3 bank, 10 amps per bank. I have one on my boat, and it has been great. I'd highly recommend it.

All the best,

Glenn

JDJ, if you are not going to use the boat for awhile and areusing two batteries I suggest the Guest 2620. That's the one I just put in. 2 banks, 10 amps per bank. There is another Guest that's 2 banks and 5 amps per bank for aboout $100.00. If I were you I would not worry about that third batter and I would get the 2620.

Bill

I was going to suggest the 2620, but if he is planning on adding the 3rd battery later anyway, then he might be stuck with a 2 bank charger that won't charge his third battery. That is why I recommended the 3 bank 2631.

I think what it probally comes down to in the end is this - JDJ - how sure are you that you are eventually going to go to a 3rd battery???

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks everyone, I guess in the warmer months when the boat is used most of the time it would not be neccessary to have the charger hooked up to the start battery so the two bank would work great. If I add the other trolling battery it would e important to have all three hooked up when the boats sits more during the winter. I guess I need to decide on the third battery before deciding on the charger/maintainer. With most of my finances going to pay dr and hospital bills I guess I ought to wait on the extra battery and maybe get the two bank chrger for now.

Decisions decisions:D

J.D.,

while it may not be a neccissity to charge your starting battery every night, the peace of mind of knowing when you hit the key in the morning that it is fully charged, is well worth the few more dollars for the extra bank on the charger.

I got my charger a few years back before I knew better, and only got a single bank. I just clip onto the starting battery on Fri. night to make sure it's charged for the weekend.

My next one will definatly be a two bank.!!:)

Steve

My opinion, is this. If you are thinking of adding a third battery go with the 3 bank charger. This way if you do you already have the charger and if not you have back up.

BF

Back