Great Interview of the World's Greatest Angler

• Thread starter Larry Harp [URL]http://www.insideline.net/2005/gui
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Five years ago... 2000 Classic in Chicago... I was working as a volunteer... I knew I would have a chance to talk to Dion so I bided my time... It came on the last day... waiting to weigh-in I went up to Dion and introduced myself. I then offered him an autographed photo... autographed by me. He kind of couldn't help but screw up his face and just look at me... Well the photo is of a very much younger me, about 17, and my Dad and Guido Hibdon... We had hired him as a guide on Lake of the Ozarks... And, the fourth person, a kid of about 7 or so that had come down to the ramp with his mother to see his Dad... Yup, Dion... The two Hibdons many, many years ago and me and my Dad at the boat ramp.... I think he liked it even if it was signed by me; "To Dion Hibdon from Greg Meyer...Thanks for lending me your Dad"

I met Guido at the Bass U. in Tulsa a couple of years ago. What a character. I would love to spend some real quality time with that crotchity old SOB. I met Dion at the Spring Classic in Springfield a few years ago. I stood and talked to him about first one thing then the other for 15 or 20 minutes before I realized who he was. He didn't try to big time me or anything. Real people.

Harpo

He is very down to earth and approachable. And their family IS very tight knit. But I'd love to be a fly on the wall the night before a big tourney to see the competition between Dad and son.

I told Guido that I hope my boy and I can be the next Guido and Dion. To me, that would be the best life ever.

And I can definately relate to his sight fishing woes. I get razzed quite a bit by the "bubba" fisherman about my "sissy" fishing with 6 or 8 lb test on a spinning rod and bitty little baits like grubs on 1/8 oz jig heads. But you know what, I can get those fish to bite even when they can't. And I use the natural colors which makes it VERY tough on choppy or overcast days.

I have used chartreuse one or two times hoping to see the bite, but it never really works as well and I always go back to the natural colors.

And the the ediquette and courtesy are definately lacking these days.

That is a cool interview,....that's "Guido" to the core!! I've talked to him privately on several occasions and he's as honest as they come.......what you see is what you get!! Deon is the same way too....very straight forward folks. (and they ALL like S&T too!!...LOL)

Mac

Hey Mac...I'm ready to hit the lake! Smallies bitin' yet?

Mini and I are leaving at 4am tomorrow for Saginaw Bay....MBCF Tourney Sat-Sun. I haven't been on Erie yet this year TEE!! AARRGHH!!! Need to giter-done!!!

Back