Grand Junction CO.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Hutchison

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is any fishing Grand Junction CO I will be there for a week starting the 28 of Oct.

Lots of trout fishing, so go enjoy that, it's pretty dang good there.

Hutch:

That's my old backyard!!

I grew up in Delta, which is 40 miles to the southeast of Grand Junction. Some of the lakes around there have bass, but there is a lot of alkali in the surrounding soil and I wouldn't eat fish from those waters. Confluence Park in Delta, for example, has bass and sunfish but they are relatively small and the lake gets a lot of local pressure. Don't fish Sweitzer Lake, it's a waste of time, good only for waterskiers.

If you head up onto the Grand Mesa (forty minute drive - go east on I-70 then take Highway 65/Colorado 65 up to the top), there are several hundred lakes at the top of that 11,000 foot flat-topped mountain, most of which can only be fished from the shoreline. Some of the larger lakes will have rowboats to rent but shore fishing is just as easy. My favorite lakes are Island Lake and Taylor Park. There used to be a visitor's center near Baron Lake/Ward Lake right off the highway that had maps. I've got a map at home and will try to update this information about Grand Mesa lakes tonight.

The closest big late to GJ is Highline Lake north and a bit west of Fruita (Highline State Park). Another nice lake to fish is Vega Reservoir.

Some locals may know spots on the Colorado River to fish. Gene Taylor's Sporting Goods Store (445 W. Gunnison Ave in Grand Junction) may be good source of information to get you started.

Gold Medal Trout Waters can be found on the Gunnison River below Blue Mesa Dam or below Curricanti Dam. Another easy way to get to good river trout fishing is to take Highway 50 to Delta, then Colorado 92 toward Hotchkiss. There is a gravel road that leads to the confluence of the Gunnison and the North Fork of the Gunnison branch. Jeans Westerner in Delta on Main Street near where Hwy 50 and Colorado 92 meet can provide a map and current fishing conditions. This location is good for both fly fishing and spin fishing if the water is clear and not too high (fast). Fall should be okay.

If that isn't enough to get you going, I'll ask my dad if it's okay to share his telephone number with you. They live in Eckert, up on the side of the Mesa and dad loves trout fishing on the Western Slope.

Whoops....

The name of the lake on the Grand Mesa is Trickle Park, not Taylor Park. Taylor Park is over by Gunnison, Colorado. Of course, if you're up at 10,000 feet in early November you may have to deal with snow...a couple feet of it...at least.

Or it could be sunny and 50 degrees.
http://www.co.blm.gov/gjra/grandvalleyfishing.htm

Latest posts

Back