GPS / Navigation system for car & boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I did a search on GPS and really didn't get a feel for what I should buy. My Land Rover has a nice little spot for a navigation system and I kind of miss the one I had in my Jeep. I would mainly use it in the car but I would like to be able to mark spots on the water too.

For $500 (give or take), what would be the best unit for both purposes? I don't like to read directions so it better be easy to use. I want city and lake maps.

I googled and the Garmin Street Pilot seems to be a popular car choice also the Lowrance Iway 350C but they don't look very portable for a boat.

Any suggestions?

Teri - I have had the TomTom Plus for the last few years and really like it. I don't thnk it will accept any of the navionics to mark spots on the water but I would not leave home without it if I was going to anyplace I wasn't familiar with on land. I am going to pick up the TomTom Rider for my motorcycle later this year. Check out their site - they used to have photos of some of our troops using it in their Humvees in Iraq.

Bill, the MadKayaker

Teri, the iWay by Lowrance does make a cradle/arm device so the iWay will work in the boat. Go to there web site and do some looking around for accessories for the iWay.

Buzz

I use the GPSMAP 76 (older model - they have newer models of the same type) from Garmin. I use it both in the boat (with a ram mount) and in the car. It's a nice dual purpose, and it accepts Fishing Hotspots maps from Mapsource.

Check to make sure that the lakes on the Fishing Hotspots are lakes you fish.

It also comes with recreational lakes, which provides basic lake information for almost all lakes.

It's not as good as some of the car only navigation systems, but serves a good dual purpose.

Tex

Teri, I went over and looked at the Lowrance website and the boat adapter is for the iWay 500c.

Buzz

Back