Got another one for y'all

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Brone

Reaction score
First off I have to say that of all the web sites I've visited for these sorts of questions, and that includes automobile topic web sites, this one has been the most helpful and accurate. So thanks again to all of you who reply with your inputs. very appreciated.

so, I live in Oak Forest IL. I drive a 99, Dodge Ram 1500 conversion van. What I'd like to know is how much money would be fair to pay for replacing shock absorbers all the way around? I'm hearing some knocking and sort of banging around seemingly from the front wheels. But after jacking the van up I tried to lift, shake and wiggle the wheels around and they seem tight and fine. She's been taking bumps in the road harder for the past year or so. Plus I get a bit of a creaking sound from time to time. Again, seemingly from down around the front wheels. What do y'all think? Thanks

Just put shocks all the way around my 1999 Ford Expedition 4x4 for the same reason. The shocks were Rancho RSX they ran about $200 and change from somewhere of the net. I installed myself. When I lifted the front, the lower conrol arm linkage were broke on both sides. Replaced them, they were cheap ($7). But the problem turned out to be bad lower ball joints.

($525 at mechanic).

I know you can find cheaper shocks but it worth having the rest looked at by a good mechanic. Pepboys and Sears soemtimes have sales buy the shock/installation is free.

Answer to question: $200-$350 including shocks

Good luck.

Bill Kyte

I'm scratchin' my head on that ball joint thing now. I'm bet'n I have the same problem.

Thanks

Sorry to say that may be exactly it.

Dodges are noted for suspension. How many miles and does it have zerk fittings at the joint? Some don't...especially newer.

Just had the lower ball joints replaced on my '01 F150 SuperCrew. Tires are next to be replaced before winter hits. 80k miles on original ball joints, shocks, and tires.

I have 128,000 miles on her. Engine is still humming along. (Knocking on wood as I type). Van exterior and interior is in really good shape. I just want to get her tightened up so she'll keep being good to me. Also so I can try to get this jones to buy a Mercury Grand Marquis off my back too.:wacko:

Jim,

My dad had the same Van with the same noises. I think it was the wheel bearings?? I will call him today and verify. Squeek and clank.

Mark

Hi Jim,

It was the wheel bearings. His was a 97. Have them checked out. His were dry.

Mark

Jim, if you do need shocks, Monroe frequently runs "Shocktober" promotions in October, where you get 4 for the price of 3. I replaced the 2001 Ford OEM shocks on my Sport Trac last fall, at about 60K miles, with Monroe Sensatracs. Great improvement in ride quality.

OEM shocks tend to be low end units, and they do wear out fairly quickly. Mine were pretty shot. Before replacement, the rear end of my truck wobbled like a seesaw over uneven pavement and speed bumps. Nto noisey, just too much travel in the shocks without enough damping action anymore.

Back