Good News?!?!?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I changed the lower unit grease (well haven't finished yet).

The grease was a dark gray. It wasn't milky or foamy.

It did kinda have a green tint to it in the pan.

Is this ok?

Also my question is how do i change the lower unit grease without it all coming back out on me. I am leaving to go buy more grease because I couldnt get enough in.

Thanks again

BJ

bj are you using grease or oil? i know its a dumb question but there is a big difference. you fill it with oil from the lower hole and when it comes out of the top hole its full, put the top plug in before you remove the pump from the lower hole and then replace that plug as fast as you can after you remove the pump from the lower hole. its a messy job theres no way around it. Also make sure you have the plastic of fiber gaskets on the plugs before you put them back in.

I am not exactly for sure what came with the boat. I bought the Quick Silver Grease (high performance). Is this correct?

Also you said pump? I have always (on my small engines) just squeezed the grease from the tube in there. I'll check to see how much a pump costs when I run to get more. If not i'll buy a couple extra containers of grease.

I say grease its more of a liquid but the bottle says Gear Grease.

BJ

I did it...changed the grease. I bought a pump and it worked fine. It was a lil messy but not too bad.

I Think it may be my Tach giving me trouble. I started teh engine up in teh driveway earlier today and it sounded normal but it was reading 1200 to 1400 rpm. Also when I turned my engine off it stayed at 1200 rpm. it didn't go back to 0 even when i took the key out.

Could my prob just be the tach?

OH ALSO-Was teh color of the grease ok? It wasn't a milky color or foamy. It was just a dark color.

Thanks

Your tach should read the last RPM read before disconnected. Your oil should be that color. Sounds like you're fine. Go fishing!

I didn't disconnect the tach.....i just turned the engine off and it stayed at 1400 rpm.

THanks!!!

When you turned off the key, you disconnected the power source from the tach. If you turn the key back on ("run" position), but do not start the motor, it should drop back to zero because it is getting power, but no pulse.

As Bobby Mcfarren used to say, "Don't worry. Be happy!"

I turned the key off like i normally do. It always has gone back to zero when I turned the key....

Mine does the same (Rude on a Stratos). Stays at about 1100-1200 rpms when first cut off. If I turn the ignition back on with the engine off, it returns to zero.

Tex

Back