Good cheap reel

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
What is the best reel for your money? I am in need of a couple of reels just to get me through the rest of this year. I have thought about running to a little tackle shop that sells reconditioned reels cheap, I may still do it. I thought I would get everyone elses opinions on what good cheap real is.

Thanks

BJ

BJ, it's tough to beat the assortment of $25 to $50 reels currently on sale at BPS. Several good entry level spinners from BPS and Shimano, good entry level baitcaster stuff from Daiwa, BPS.

I've said it before.....

I'll say it again.....

I agree with Rich!

If you're looking for a baitcaster, BJ, the Tourney series from BPS are very good reels. $40-ish. I have two that I use kind of as back-ups. For a while, before I went to the Curado's, they were my primary reels for bass fishing.

For spinning, Shimano's TX/FX series are excellent! They're available at any Wallyworld for $25-ish.

Come to the rally! We've got several reels being given away as door prizes!

me!

Gotta be careful because you get what you pay for with reels. Cheap reel = Cheap performance, cheap durability. I would look on ebay (not a lot of "good" deals though) or go to the shop you were talking about and get a reconditioned "dependable" top end reel.

TOXIC

BJ I dont think there is such a thing as a good "cheap" reel. Like Tox said you really get what you pay for. I would save my money and buy a good one when you can afford it. That way instead of buying something you have to replace in a year or two you can spend the money once and get a reel that will last you many years of a lifetime if you take care of it. I have been down this road before and I hate feeling like I threw my money away. I would rather spend the 120 for something like a curado and have it last forever then 40 or 50 on a cheap reel that falls apart in just a few years.

BJ I have about 6 of the Pro Qualifers and I love them. I belive they are on sale for $49.99 right now at BPS. They have 8 ball bearings and spin realy free. I got a buddy who turned me on to these and he has about 10 with no problems what so ever, and he has had some of his for a few years. I tried the Pflueger combo for $40 and it sucks, so do your self a favor and do not waste your time on these. I sent 2 of them back as soon as I got them in the mail (the drags sucked and one broke). Good luck...alot of people will have thier own oppions but I belive you can trust the PQ. Give me a shout if you need some help.

Donnie

I've still got a shimano FX reel that I must have bought 20 years ago...it's still in the boat right along side all my 'expensive' reels! I still use it frequently and have never had it apart for servicing...

I has been well worth the 15 or 20 bucks I spent for it...

az

BJ, there are many excellent "budget priced" reels out there. I have two BPS Extreme reels and just bought a BPS David Fritts all for under 50 bucks each. I have a Dawia some Shimanos too. There is absoultly nothng wrong with the BPS reels. Maybe they aren't quite the quality of the higer priced Shimano or Dawia reels but they do perform very well. After all you don't use nothing but G.Loomis rods or pull your Gambler with an Hummer do you? Sometime you have to find the best equiptment you can afford.

Harpo

ME!- I would love to come to the rally...it sounds like a lot of fun.

Thanks for everyones input.

BJ

BJ

My brother is always on a tight budget. He goes to a lot of fisherman swap meets. There is usually a lot of them this time of year. He has gotten almost new, high dollar reels, at unbelieveable prices. he calls some of the bass clubs and ask if anyone knows of swap meets. Some are in the newspaper but most are posted at supermarkets or in shopper's guides. It's just a thought.

fatrap

ABU C3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 50 bucks for a reel that will be passed down to your kids ..

For a spinning reel there are 2 I recommend. Daiwa has one that is at Dicks or BPS that retails for only $35 and is a 7 ball bearing. It's the 1500 series and I think the model is the Samuri, maybe Capricorn?

The other is at Wal-Mart and it's the FLW spinning reel. By the looks of it, my money would say it's made by Pinnacle. 8 ball bearins and only $30. I believe Jim (bassinfool) won the one I gave away with a 6'6" Berkely Bionic rod at the Champlain rally. I have 3 and love them. Can't beat the value.

As for baitcasters, try you local wally worlds. Each year they do spring clearance and I got another $125 Daiwa procaster Z for $50. That's the 3rd or 4th I got like that.

I Have the Samuri spinning reel and let me say its worth the money.....i got mine from BPS for 29.99..

Donnie

Hey Donnie,

I see you must have gotten your computer. How are you doing? How much longer will you be in my neck of the woods?

Tex

BJ -

I forgot about the Abu C3!

I've got three of the Abu Garcia reels in the lo-o-ong spool version that I use for bait fishing. They would be excellent in the narrow spool version for bass fishing! They cast well, have an very good drag (As many a Mississippi River catfish will attest to!) and they are solidly built!

me!

I haven't had any problems with Extreme's, or Pro Qualifiers, or for that matter, any of the Pflueger baitcasters from BPS, all under 100 bucks. Granted, I don't fish 7 days a week, 8 hours a day, but haven't had one defect or problem with any of them, and for spinning, I've had great luck with Shimano's, I like the Spirex for low priced spinning, and the Daiwa Laguna is rapidly becoming a favorite spinning reel for me.

Again, I'm talking trying to get the most I can get for the least money.

I don't really concern myself with what brand my fishing buddy or the guy in the next boat uses, or how much it cost,I just get the best I can afford at the time, and try to take good care of the equipment. The reels mentioned here have worked great for me, some of them for a number of years now. They've all mentioned some really good reels above, good luck with your reel buying! egMike

Back