GM owners take notice....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
My 04 GMC Sierra had one of the bolts that hold's the lower control arm together BROKE yesturday. Dealer is seriously looking at this because it looked to me the bolt was broke from the factory and finally let loose. It was cracked and rusted halfway across right at the head of the bolt (not the nut end). I am having the dealer pull all the bolts up front and checking them. It's also there to have this crappy braking system looked at.

GM still can't answer my question of why if these are such ggod brakes(4 wheel disc antilock) then, why did they go back to drum on all the 05's and 06's?

We all know thw answer to that one....

BECAUSE IT'S A CRAPPY SYSTEM! :(

Bet they'll be a bulletin on this one....

Tee - you may want to consider filing a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) - its the federal agency under DOT in charge of all safety standards for motor vehicles. If GM really screwed up on this one, they may have on other GM vehicles as well. If there is a significant problem, NHTSA can start an investigation and force a recall if there is a safety-related defect or noncompliance with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards. You can reach NHTSA through the web at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Tee,

Glad this was caught and did not cause you to get into an accident, in addition to Jim's comments, next go-around get a FORD ;)

NOOOOOOT...NO FORD PERIOD! Don't want worse...been there;)

Filed a complaint......don't know what will happen. Dealer seemed VERY concerened..we'll see:eek:

Jim, ABS are designed not to lock up, I'd be a little concerned and have them looked at.

Also Jim...your talkin' two completely different systems. The 4 wheel disc antilock that's on the Sierra has a control valve box that it is probably the culprit but, GM doesn't want to admit the problem which is gonna' be hard to do since I have them backed in a corner and they also know that the parking brake system is not a good system...even admitted it.

A disc/drum system is a good system if done right...been proven overe and over again for years...this system has not:(

That's nothing My brother in laws minivan had the bolt for the control arm installed with out a nut. It was clunking for the longest time til I noticed it.

Go UAW

Tee - I had a problem with my front ABS sensors each time I had issues with my brakes. Was told by the service manger that they needed routine cleaning :wacko:

Well we gotter back and fixed...I hope:)

They come to the same conclusion I did...the bolt was cracked or bad from the factory.

The brakes they claim are fine...I say they are a lot to be desired:(

Back