Glass Boat Ladder?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrepMan

Reaction score
OK gang this will probably be one of a few post on accessories i'm thinking about, but wanted them seperate as some folks might not look at the post and I might miss a good suggestion.

So, I need a ladder for my Nitro. We WILL be swimming, tubing and probably skiing at some point. Anyone install/have a ladder on a glass bass boat that was NOT factory installed? I'm looking at the portable ones that hook on the top cap, as well as possibly having Nitro install one like in the 185/188/189 sport boats.

What do you have or have done?

Knowing how ...uhhhmmmm....cost conscious you are, :D, don't spend the money. Just have 'em step on the cavitation plate and trim her up!!!

I would get one like the ones on the sport boats with a grab handle. The bottom folds up and doesn't drag in the water.....but you'll know if you leave it down and take off!! LOL!!!

Bob G.

Hey Neeley - when it comes to my boat, SPARE NO EXPENSE!!!

Thanks Bob, I am thinking about that, since they don't make the 185 sport anymore, anychance you could take a pic and post or email what the ladder looks like? Then I could look at the back of my 700 and see if it might work.

Trep

Trep,

I can take a pic for ya sometime this weekend.

Bob G.

Trep,

My portable ladder affixes to the top cap (gunwale) and is mounted on the side... Much "taller" but it is nicer to step into the bottom of the boat than into the splashwell. Having said all that, I do not know about mounting the "sockets" (small SS fixture that accepts the heads of the stove bolts) for the ladder into glass...

Whichever ladder you decide on, make sure it's through-bolted/sealed. (Lagbolts just never seem to hold up as well in boats.) That may narrow your choices some. Good luck!

Greg, your ladder is "portable" meaning its not permanently mounted? Or is there a perm mount and just the ladder comes off? Any pics??

Dan - Got the lecture/info from Rich on day 1 "ANYTHING you drill through/mount to fiberglass ALWAYS through-bolt-seal-AND-Back plate!!!" Thanks!

Trep...

Mine is "portable"... It also folds up... The "mounts" are permanently attached to the boat... about 2 inches square the top of the mount has a keyhole shaped hole where the head of a carriage bolt fits through... the bolt head is at the short end of the "candy cane" shaped side rails of the steps...

Trepman... if you install it yourself, make sure you use a sharp drill and use masking tape or duct tape on the glass to help stop the fractures when you start to drill

Jim B - That looks cool, i'll have to seriously consider that portable one!

Greg - Can you take a couple of pics so I can see what it looks like?

Dewey - Yup i've been reading in Bass/Walleye boat and Trailer boats and how "fragile" drilling in to glass is, that part i'll take a LOT of time to read and get right! See you Tin guys, there is something TIN is better for , easy drilling and fixing of holes!!

Stephen - got any pictures??? or links?

For drilling through gelcoat, get a drill made for cermaic tile (diamond tipped). They work great, and take care of any chipping problems that you might encounter. They are obviously a little more expensive, but well worth it - and you don't have to drill backwards, which can be a real pain.

My buddy (in construction) had one we used when mounting my 981 unit this year.

Tex

Stephen - Thats the EXACT ladder I have on my Tracker now that I love. If you can this week, anychance you could take a picture of it on the 700, so I could see how/where they mounted it!

I did manamge toget a couple of pics in my folder. I have beenuabletodownload to thisboard.See if you can get them from the folder. If not send me aemail address

Back