General Maintenance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
Alright I have now had my boat for two years. It has been excellant to me. Every year I go through my boat and just check everything over. Today I pulled three foot sections of the rub rail off and tightened all of the screws holding the top cap on. I've checked my electrical wires. The batteries are only a few months old so i dont believe they need water. All of my electronics are working. My trolling motor is in good shape. The transducer did break off the trolling motor a few weeks ago when I ran into some rocks due to the wind. Well, it wasnt the ducer it was the bracket holding the transducer on that broke. Its glued back on for a temporary fix (I'll replace it in the off season hopefully, but the glue is holding really well...)

Sometime in the next few days I'll go buy some lower unit lube and replace the lower unit fluid this week. The spark plugs are only two months old so no need to replace them.

Other than my boat just needs a good wash and wax is there anything I've forgotten?

BJ

Just get my a plane ticket to Tennesse and i'll be happy too!;)

Oh whenever they start making wierd noises I'll put a shot of grease in there....:blink:

Just kidding!!!!

They get greased after every trip.

water pump impeller. Don't pay to have it done. There's a great article on BBC about how to change it. $20 or so in parts vs $150 for the dealer to do it.

Bj dont assume that because the batteries are pretty new that they still have water in them. You would be surprised at how fast then can loose water. The interstates that came in my nitro ate water like crazy. I found myself filling them every 2 to 3 weeks and they were brand new batteries. Its a pain on the 882 but something that has to be done if you want them to last.

My father also had a funny one happen to him. His fish ans ski came with Die hards in it. He inspected and watered them, took two fishing trips with charges in between and we went out one night and they died. I took a look at them and low and behold they were dry as a bone. He had just filled them a month before. Needless to say its new batter time for him. Next time im at Northern Bass Supply i will be picking him up a set of trojans like mine :)

I agree with Mike on the impeller, if it hasnt been done either do it or get it done. Also look for line behind the prop( both gas and tm), Check m mount and make sure its tight( they get loose in rough water), Check and assessory mounts ans make sure they are tight( fishfinder etc), Check all the lid screws on every lit on the boat( they can get loose), Check jack plate bolts( they can get loost in rough water),check bolts that hold motor to plate( they get loose in rough water), check transom to jackplate bolts( They get loose in rough water, I would have the dealer do it though because they are sealed.), If the motor has never been decarboned do it!!!!!, check all bolts on the trailer, Jack up each wheel and check to see it it wiggles( if they do your bearings are loose and should be taken apart and inpected), Check the bow strap and make sure it isnt frayed( replace if it is), same for transom straps, Check the brake fluid level on the trailer.

Just get my a plane ticket to Tennesse and i'll be happy too

Dang BJ, you take all the fun out of it.:D I'm gonna need tips on winterizing before to long though.

JDJ

I put an article together last hyear on how to winerize an carbed outboard. I need to have Rich put this on the grab bag here on the site, i forgot to last year.

Btw there is still plenty of fishing season left. I live inthe northeast and ill fish right into November. :)
http://www.massbassbuddies.com/winterize/index.htm

Does it matter what type of water you use to fill batteries? on the PT-165 getting to the trolling battery is going to be a project, lucky the crank battery is easy access. Do you check the water levels on both??

They get greased after every trip

Do you have the kind like my trailer where they pump from the back forward so you push out the old grease and the new fills the hubs? If so, why after every trip??

X use distilled water only in the batteries. Anything else will ruin them by putting unwanted minerals in the battery. I would check both the crank and trolling.

When it comes to taking out the batteries i feel your pain. One of the ones on my 882 is a real pain to remove. I have to remove the startign battery and move the oil tank before i can get to it. Its also a heave sucker at over 75#. I have a big heavy group31 that has a lot of lead....

i'm not sure what they are. I just take the metal part off and then the plastic cap off and shoot about 2 squirts in both sides. And not really after every trip....more like after long trips. My dealer told me to repack them every other year and to shoot a little grease in them after every trip.

BJ, when you shoot the grease in where does the extra come out??

It doesnt that i know of?????????????????

I just pump that thing twice. If its a longer trip I might give it three or four pumps

BJ

Just a thought my daler told me when I fuel my boat especially towards winter. Stabil, stabil, stabil. He told me 70% of his service calls are carb related and if the people used stabil the gas wouldn't get old and the carbs would be fine. I use it and even if I haven't fired it up in a few weeks it starts on the first try.

Just a thought my daler told me when I fuel my boat especially towards winter. Stabil, stabil, stabil. He told me 70% of his service calls are carb related and if the people used stabil the gas wouldn't get old and the carbs would be fine. I use it and even if I haven't fired it up in a few weeks it starts on the first try.

Back