Gelcoat cracks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Bell2

Reaction score
Question,

I have a 2004 NX750. I noticed in the splash well on both sides of the drain hole some very fine cracks in the gelcoat. They are anywhere from 1 inch to 6 inches long. They start right at the drain hole, I am thinking when the factory cut that hole and installed the metal ring ( for a lack of a better word ) there was some cracking and it is just now spreading due to stress from the wieght of the outboard.

I know with glass boats you always are gonna have some type of stress cracks in the gelcoat. Do I need to even be concerned with it? Should I put some clear marine silicone over them, or re-gel coat, or take it back to dealer and have them fix it.. chances are it will prob. crack again.. your thoughts....

thanks brian

Wel-l-l-l-l..... The warranty does specifically state that gel coat cracks are not covered..... BUT..... You just got that boat in the last few weeks..... And that is NOT a spot where there is any flexing..... I'd say that the proper care wasn't taken while drilling and installing the drains.....

I would get it to the dealer now and get them to check it closer. My boat did that then eventually the transome top cap split apart. Nitro would not warranty it because thet were sure it was abuse. I have a friend who is the best glass man in the area here and I got to fix it. Once we started working on it we found there was a big "empty void where they had not glassed it in at the factory. Leaving all the stress on on the top transom cap. Something that clearly was not was not built proper since day one. Definetly frustrating when you are told it was your fault basically. Just my advice and get them to take off the plastic moulding too where the top cap and transom attach, otherwise they may not see it. I'm not going to get started on the problems I have had with my boat and nitro warranty issues. Although I will lend you that advice. Also take out your storage boxes in back and check to see if the bulkheads are separtating from the top cap. Good luck you will need it.

QuinteBasser

Back