Gelcoat Chip

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
:(This weekend I found a small chip in my Ranger Gelcoat, it is right where the bow touches the bow roller when the boat is on the trailer, I do not know how it got there. The chip is about the size of a dime, and the black underlayment is exposed. The chip is right above the bow loop/bracket.

Can anyone help suggest the best way to fix this. I would assume this part of the boat gets a beating becuase of location so I have a few questions.

1) What type of repair, gelcoat, fiberglass or should I use that two part epoxy.

2) I can not get to the chip because the bow roller is covering it, so do I jack the boat off of the bow rest a little bit, if yes from the keel? Or can I take the bow roller off and reair, will the boat crush down on the bow roller bracket?

3) I was thinking of getting one of those bow protector cover they give to you when you buy a keelsheild, that fits over or on top of the bow eye, any thoughts on them?

Thanks for any help.

CJL

Here is almost exactly what the chip looks like, except mine is closer to the bow hook and black is showing versus another color fiberglass. It has me concerend becuase mine is actually the part the bow is resting on the bow roller.

bowdamage2.jpg

CJL,

Is that just from hitting your bow stop? :eek: If so, I wonder if it would have happened with the regular black rubber stop.

I was considering getting an "Ultimate Bow Stop" like yours.

Paul

I don't know how it happened, Ironically it was not there before I power loaded it last week, LOL. Do you think it's from the roller?? The bow stop is a little hard, and marks up the bow, the picture I am showing is not my boat, but the mark, chip is very much the same.

I was thinking of putting on one of these, or the scuffbuster

bowdamage6.jpg

Paul, you got me thinking, is this chip possibly a wear mark, form the roller, becuase I really don't remember hitting anything, besides the TM shaft would always block a collision. Ans since I almost never power load, I don't hit the bow stop hard, almost never.

Perhaps it is just from rolling along the bow on the bow stop????:wacko:

you probably went between the roller and steel frame..I did it and It has a spot black showing...It won't hurt anything....I will probably get a scuff buster on mine, but In the picture it looks like you need to tighten the rollers up, to large of a gap between them....JR

JR, That's not my boat, but the picture is very much the same little chip in the bow, mine is a bit lower where the bow rest on the bow roller. It's black just like yours, perhaps Ranger uses black fiberglass underlayment??? Anyway, you don't think it's a big deal?? Maybe I shold just get the scuffbuster as well or a piece of keelsheild.

Thanks, CJL

JR,

I just talked to Ranger, (insert smiley that is kneeling and praying), the service Dept. out in Flippin Ark, siad it's nothing to be alarmed at, he said, that the black showing is just a wear mark, he said I have worn away the gray colored gelcoat down to the next layer which is most likely black on my boat isnce the top cap is black with silver flake :wacko:, anyway, maybe I'm just being paranoid, I will have to take a better look at it. He said some people put those scuffbusters on them to help. he also siad a new roller would be good.

He also mentioned that if I put another gelcoat layer on, that it would probably just come off again,

What do you think, do you still work at the Ranger dealer, maybe if you remember you could ask around or something.

CJL

Most of them come in with a spot where It hit the frame..not a big deal.People dont always.but that scuff buster Is going on my boat and I recommend most people to get it.. Cheap cover that will stop It from happening again.....Most people never check the nuts and bolts and keep them tight..The rubber will seperate if you ram into It loading the boat..It's really easy to do...Keep the bolt tight.......JR:)

So JR, I don't nned to repair anything first? Just slap the self-adhesive scuffbuster and be done with it?

The repair you show in your picture will not work. Skuffbusters do not work. I'm glad it is for Mike but I will give you 3 to 1 that it will not hold. KeelShield states expressly that the shield is not to come in contact with your bow roller, bunks or trailer rollers. Think about it, the compression that the shield gets hitting these will eventually break it loose and will void the warranty. It will also leave some nasty marks where it was glued. It is not impossible that you kicked a rock or something else up and hit the bow while you were trailering but more than likely you powerloaded and hit the roller right between the outers and the inner. People underestimate the force that a boat hits the roller with when powerloading. I've seen helpful people trying to guide on a boat who have almost lost fingers. Fix it and be gentle in your loading process. Powerloading does not mean hitting the trailer at 5mph (not to say you did). I have not heard of too many of the Skuffbusters holding. Don't do it.

TOXIC

Hey Toxic / JR or anybody lol,

That picture is not my boat it was just an example, I just got home and I could see one edge of the chip that's not covered by the roller, the underlayment is black, but looks maybe to be pourus with litlle white hairs in it, the chip looks to be sharp so I guess this is an impact hit and not a wear mark. Looks like I need to get repaired, why the Ranger Plant told me the fiberglass is not black but white? I really don't know without, getting it off the roller.

Hey Toxic, how come the keelshield website promotes the usage as a scuff buster on the bow? Either way I don't hink this will cure my problem looks to be more severe than that.

If you look closely, there is no shield under the roller. Those pics are new and it is the first time I have seen them. It is possible that the shield can absorb the initial impact of hitting the roller as long as the spot where it rests fully loaded is not covered by the shield. You very well may use it for your application. The mounting instructions state to start about 6" lower than the bow eye just to avoit this type of contact.

TOXIC

Back