Gel Coat Rubbed Off

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I found a spot this weekend where a screw on the dock had been rubbing the side of the boat. The spot was about the size of a nickel and not very deep. It's not that noticeable because it's on the gold and silver sparkle part of the gel coat. I put clear fingernail polish over it. Will that do or should you get little places like that fixed?

Teri,...get some "boat bumpers" to hang off the side of your boat when it's docked,....you won't have any more problems. As far as getting it fixed,.......it's your call Darlin'!! Clear Fingernail polish will seal it,...and if it's hardly noticeable....fuhgettaboutit!!;)

Mac

I have bumpers but the rear of the boat barely squeezes in the slip. No room for anything between the pad on the dock and the black rubber strip edge that goes around the boat. I tried to cover the screw but it clearly isn't working. There aren't anymore slips available so I have to deal with this one for this year.

I dont know how permenent finger nail polish is but you can get a bottle of cleae coat paINT At an auto parts store this is permanent fix I have used this method and was pleased with results sand the scratch with 3000 grit sand paper apply paint till it is even with rest of surface then sand lightley with 4000 grit sand paper and rub with a good polish then wax

JD

Teri Order the ones In the ranger catalogue..They fold around the side nice and neat...I have a few and they are great...Look at them on ranger site they are sharp.....JR

JR, where've you been? I put a few posts out there and never heard "Boo" from ya. I looked on the Ranger site just to see what you are talking about and didn't see anything under "Accessories". Did I miss something?

So I read Jenny came back from FL. That didnt take long.;)

How about a cheap flat type throw preserver? hang it from a cleat on either the boat or the dock?

BF

There is literally no room between the rear edges of the boat and the side of the dock. There is a small grey rubber piece screwed to each side of the dock. However, there is a bolt right beneath the rubber piece so when the rear sides of the boat squeez against that grey rubber piece on each side and then the boat rocks up and down, the left side of the back of the boat is rubbing on the top of that bolt. I tried putting adhesive foam (like what you line your front door with the keep the air out) boat it just falls right off when the boat hits it. Not sure if this makes any sense without seeing it.

Yes she came back....She Is living here and It's a long story..I guess we will make It this time ...Still quite an age difference... I will be at patoka on the 27-30 of june I rented the lodge at osborn ramp...Patoka Pines..... The bumpers I am talking about are In the catolgue and they are flat and conture around the side of the rub rail and have a rope and attach nicely..I thought they would be on the web site, they are In the ranger wear catalogue....I am sure they would work for your boat..they are wide also.......If you can't find them e-mail me and I'll take a picture of mine...Or look at the bass pro book I think they have a copy of them now....you can call ranger and they will send you a rranger wear catalogue right out....Hope this helps..They will do the trick I am sure....JR

Teri,

Wrap a bunch of duct-tape around the bolt to cushion the blow.

Or wrap a bunch of duct-tape around the boat..........:rolleyes:

Sorry,it's the redneck in me coming out..:)

Or you could take a dremel tool at night and fix the bolt completly. Heck I am going to be on Percy tomorrow night, wich dock and what slip and I will "take care of it for ya". Seriously I am gonna be night fishing from 6 to midnight in my buddies boat. Loak for a wine colored Pro Craft kinda dark smoke and pruple with blue carpet. It should have two pro/lean seats with a couple studs planted in them. :lol: Were thinking about fishing the Four Corners Wed. night tourny if we can pattern some fish. Look for me if your gonna be on the water.

Donnie

Teri, I've used clear nail polish before it works but has a tendency to become soft form the heat of the sun.

Back