gas in carbs

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Mercury recommends for running the gas out of carburators or leaving them full after use? My manuel does not say and I've hear both ways.

S - I'd say it depends. If you don't run your motor very often (say one every three months or so), then you probably want to run the gas out of the carbs to prevent gumming, etc. You may also want to run the gas out for long storage periods for the same reason. If, however, you are running through a tankful of gas every month or so, it would seem there should be no problem as the gas won't break down that fast. Frankly, if you're really worried, you can always add stabil or some other fuel stabilizer and never worry about the carbs! As a matter of regular course, however, seems that you shouldn't worry about emptying the carbs if you're running the motor pretty regularly.

Everyone has their own opinion.........nothing wrong with that. The only thing I have ever done to my boat.......gas wise........is to put a gas additive in and top off the tank in the fall. I have never worried about the carbs gumming up........might be a mistake on my part, but have never had a problem. First thing I do in the spring is run a jug or two of seafoam in the gas tank. My motor sits for six months every winter here in southern Maine. Kinda hard to use it right now with 10 or more inches of ice on the lakes.

Lamar

Like Lamar my boat sits from late November till April. I run sta-bil in the gas and then drain the bowls on the carbs. It may be overkill to do both but, that's what I do.

Gene

I put stabil in every tank full of gas and never think twice about it. DONE

Yep Stabil and run it thru the carbs on the lake with the last run;)

Back