Garage door opinion- AGAIN

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Folks who have been here awhile know I have 8 foot garage doors which really stinks for storing a bass boat. It's time to replace the doors with insulated doors so I had a contractor come out today and see what he could do to help me expand them for a boat. Can't knock out the middle because he would have to put a steel support beam and it would be WAY expensive. He can expand the door on the far end of the house easily instead of messing with the column down the middle so I would have one 8 foot door and one 9 foot door. He could make the brick above the door look the same, all for $1500 + doors. I was paying $130 per month to store my boat so it would pay for itself in one year.

So...do you think having one 8 foot door and one 9 foot door would:

a) look bad? or noticable?

b) decrease the resale value of my home?

c) any other negatives you can think of?

Go for it... My best bet is that it won't matter much... But, with some creativity you could easily "replicate" the look temporarily with paper and sort of see how it will look with one 9 and one 8...

I'd do it without a second thought.

All the best,

Glenn

I think it will be fine if the contractor is reputable and does good finish work.

I have diffrent sized doors on my garage, you can hardly notice they are a foot diffrent in size. When I get home I can take a pic and post if you want.

Teri, I build houses for a living and it may look funny if this guy does not center the door in the opening.It will look off to on side.Just as him about his plans on centering the door.

Teri,

i agree with Rich, if anything if they can ceter a 10ft door, it would look much better. an 8ft and a 10ft looks planned, not an 8 and a 9.

I don't have room for a 10 foot door. Not sure what you mean by "centering the door".

Yeah, I'm lost on that one too. How could they not "center the door"? If the opening is for a 9 foot door, you pretty much have to "center" a 9 foot door in that space. If not, you're gonna have a gap on one side, and the door closing behind part of a wall on the other. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

how deep is the garage? can you put your boat in straight or do you have to angle it?

Oh and I saw a steal on a 2007 520 Teri. $22,500 LOADED up. No power pole though. I thought about buying it but it has a Rude on it.

Mini, depends on what I buy next spring. It's very close to 22 feet deep. I don't want to buy "too much" boat but I would like one bigger than a 17 foot with a 90hp. I can't even put my rods in this one. I kind of want something I can take on like Kentucky Lake and feel safe and also one I can store all my crap in. Definitely will need a swing tongue. 22,500 would have been perfect price range. Kind of want a Yamaha on the back cuz I trust the dealer in town.

What I mean by centering are they going to take 6inches off of each side of the excisting opening or the 1 foot off of one side of the opening?

He is going to add a foot to the end of the door that is closest to the edge of the house. There is about 3-4ft of brick there. The middle can't be messed with because its a support structure. Well, it could but not cheaply.

Wifes a realator, and say's it should have no impact on resale. As long as it is professionally done and looks proper. You would not get a bump in price because of the wider door, but neither will you loose value.

Teri

Just get an old pick up truck and set it on cinder blocks next to the bigger door. No one will notice the door.

fatrap

Teri - "depends on what I buy next spring"!!! Do you have an online photo album of all the boats you've owned?? I can't wait to see what you decide to buy to tow the new boat! LOL!!!

We are about to replace our garage doors (15 yearold wood ones) and had to measure so ours are 9ft wide both, so now I understand what issue you have if your doors are 8ft!

I have no idea on the job in particular, but wanted to say that time is your friend right now. Winter's coming and contractors for the job you want should be plentiful. Get a few (at least three) estimates/professional ideas laid out and go with whom you're comfortable with and has the best references and cleanest record with BBB. (Licensed, insured, yada, yada....) You may get a new idea or two while getting the additional estimates. Just an idea. Good luck! ;)

Latest posts

Back