Future NX898 Owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leon Webb

Reaction score
Within the next few weeks I will be ordering my new Nitro from BPS. This will be my first boat, so as you can see I have a lot to learn. Living in So Florida I decided on the NX898. I looked at Triton, Skeeter, and Ranger but the Nitro won out based on Price and value. What I'm looking for is advice, tips, or recommendations from current Nitro owners. Remember, I'm a newbie so any info, regardless how trivia or basic it may seem, will be helpful. So far my setup will be a single Console with a galvanized trailer, 10" Jack plate, an upgraded Lowrance Fish finder and no carpet. Recommendations on a Fish finder, preferably Lowrance, would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Well Congrats again. And i would suggest checking out the swap and sell section.

Congrats, you'll love it. I have owned 2 Nitro's and having nothing but good things to say. As far as electronics. A inexpensive decent fish finder is the Garmin 120. I installed one a few months ago on my NX and love it, think I paid about 120.00 for it. GPS I would recomend GARMIN 162 or 168, or GPSMAP 76. I am partial to GARMIN. I will eventualy be replacing the X47 Lowrance that came with my boat, not real pleased with it compaired to Garmin products.

hope this helps, and also like allot of other folks have stated get as MUCH HP you can afford, ( Big motor and T-motor )you will not regret it.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard the NTOWS train.

You have lot's of good experiences here to draw from. I'm somewhat surprised that they are letting you put a Lowrance unit on the Nitro. Did they swap it out ($ for $), or just switch it? Usually, that's a no-no for them. I'm not a Lowrance guy, so I'll leave it up to somone else to comment on.

Regardless, I'd stick with all Lowrance, even though I like Garmin and now have a Humminbird Matrix that I like.

As most will tell you, get as much motor as you can afford. Are single console boats the 'norm' in Florida, or dual console? The reason I ask is for the trade-in/resale market. If it's mostly SC boats, then your choice is good. If it's mainly DC boats, then you might want to rethink this. Do you fish with a buddy/partner much? How about wife/girlfriend? Not sure if you can add another console 'later'. Some boats are like that. I'm just not up with how the Nitro's (and particulary your model), are configured.

Best of luck, and again, welcome aboard.

Tex

Congrats on your new ride -- post some pic--

Have the dealer take you out on the water for a test run-- They will show you all the goodies and let you check them out ..

Good Luck HaleDamage

Thanks for all the replies.

TT, up until a couple of days ago I was leaning towards a dual console, mainly for cosmetic reasons. However, after considering the extra weight, added to an already heavy boat, and the extra room a SC would free up I decided to go with a single. I'm not sure what the norm is down here, I see a mixture of both.

Brian, thanks for the recommendation of GARMIN. However I was trying to avoid installing a unit myself (remember I'm a newbie). Lowrance (X47) comes with the NX898 and it would be easier for me to upgrade and have them install it.

pmgojjr, most likely I will get the 150. That should give me a top speed of 60mph. Speed is not high on my list. But trust me if I could afford a 200 or 225 I would get it. BMCD mentioned buying a certificate, If I go that route I could afford the 200hp. I will send him a email for more info.

thanks all

First, welcome aboard. Next, I posted an inquiry on Walleyefirst about you maybe looking for a Merc. Certificate... If I get any feedabck I'll let you know.

Certainly would suggest that you look in the classified ads at Walleyecentral.com to see if anyone has one and maybe you should post an "interestesd in" ad...

If you are going to fish the backwaters at all, you will want (read that to mean NEED) a GPS. I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt. Take a look at the Garmin 168. I'm sure BPS would be happy to install it for you.

Consider buying it from Pat Goff; I certainly would!

If you plan on ever taking a passenger with you - GET THE DUAL CONSOLE. If you haven't been hit in the face with rain before while cruising at 50+ mph on a cool morning you can't imagine how miserable it is. Bugs are even worse. You'll never notice the weight differance and the 898 has more than enough room up front even with protection for your fishing partner.

Take a trip over to Texas - straight across I-10 - and buy it from Pat Goff; he'll be sure the boat is set up right for you!

me!

Pat Goff is "pmgoffjr".

me!, as a matter of fact I fished a tournment a couple of weeks ago as a non-boater. My partner had a 21' skeeter with a 225 on the back and he was easily pushing 65 mph on the way back to the weigh-in. The problem was he had a SC and it was sprinkling VERY lightly. It felt like I was getting shot in the face with buckshot, I'm not even going to mention the face lift I got and the body fluids flying from my mouth <g>. You're right that was miserable.

The biggest advice I'm getting on and off this board is to upgrade to a 200hp+ for the 898. I guess my choices are to wait a few more months or look at the NX882.

pmgoffjr, I've rubbed my two quarter together so much already they're starting to look like nickles, so that's not an option.

Thanks all

Diffrent boats, but I have a 01' 896 with a 150XR6. Scoots me along fine. I am not sure how much the hulls changes. I can guess more then a bit as they redid the model number.

I guess a 200 would have been a bit more fast, but the 150 does me justice. Tox, KB, what do you think? You have been in the boat or run with me.

Carlos

Leon,

I fish as a non-boater quite a bit in the SC Federation tourneys. I get beat up all the time, for most boats in our neck of the woods are SC configured. And it get's cold up here in the winter/spring on top of that!

Tex

Leon -

If this is going to be your first boat, you would find the 882 absolutely ideal! I've owned boats on either side of it - the 17 1/2' Nitro 180DC and the 20' Nitro 2000DC. And I fished the backwaters between the Everglades and the Gulf in the 180. If I were in a position to purchase a new boat right now, it would be the 882.

me!

Get what you want. I do think the DC model will sell better, and your partners will like you better. But than again who cares about your fishing partner... unless she is your wife. Weight should not be a concern on this boat. I'm guessing with the 150 you see 59-62 on this boat. 200 65-68 225 69-73. There could be some changes in store for the 2005 898, might want to verify its the same boat.

Someone is gonna ask..... What prop do you have on there right now?

Carlos,

Totally different boats.

I drove the 2nd 898 off the production line down at Table Rock with a 225 on it....she flew!!!

I would definitely take Pat's advice and get the 200, or look at the 882.

One other option.......Avalanche?!?

JRJones, did you get the optional carpet? I was not planning on getting it with my boat, but I see know that they offer snap in carpet. Also, what part of country do you live in, I assume a coastal state?

I will be ordering mine in July/Aug. The sales rep said it will take about 6 weeks for delivery. The colors will be White/Burgundy/Silver, I no doubt will have the sharpest boat on the water :) I will differently post some pics.

Back