Fuel Mileage On A Z-18, 150 Four

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to make a trip over to Toledo Bend Lake Saturday to do some scouting for an upcoming event. I did a lot of moving around with multiple starts and stops with some bass fishing mixed in. With myself and partner, full fuel, and fairly calm conditions across the lake I ran a total of 56.4 miles and used 13.6 Gals of gas. Boat is 2017 model. Just a bit above 4 MPG average for the day. Lots of folks out on the water but not much caught in areas where I fished.

Check the manufacture's site, they normally have a performance section. Normally it is gallons per hour.

I'd like to know your opinion of your boat. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Z18 myself with a 150 4 stroke and a single axel trailer with brakes .. Any thoughts .. pros and cons will be appreciated.

Are Lee, I'm an old guy who has owned everything from a jon boat through the 20' class bass boats.
The Z-18 is a really well laid out and quality fishing machine. Mine is a full two years old now with about 130 hours on the engine fished in fresh and saltwater. The only issue I've had with the engine was a bad alternator due to an internal short constantly drawing battery power even with the key off. That was replaced under warranty. Good live well system, plenty of storage 150 four performs very well. I do run an Atlas Jack plate on mine due to the constant shallow water conditions here. Two people and fully loaded, I can make a 40 mile, round trip, fishing day with lots of starts and stops on under 10 gallons of fuel. The fit and finish of the boat and it's components is as good as any I've ever owned. They do skimp on the trailers some other than that armor coating that is applied. I use mine in saltwater 4 or 5 times a year- no rust so far. the tail lights are LED's but mine were cheap and dim. I replaced them immediately with multi LED fixtures. Wood used on the bunks is very cheap and will rot quickly. Before you buy, get down and look under your bunk board where they are bolted with the lag screws to be sure the wood isn't already split badly from the big lag screws holding them in place. I replaced all mine within 6 months because of that issue. If you look at some of my other posts at this site there are some more details and ideas that you might want to consider. If you can make it happen, you would love the dual axle trailer.

I'd like to know your opinion of your boat. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Z18 myself with a 150 4 stroke and a single axel trailer with brakes .. Any thoughts .. pros and cons will be appreciated.
Go with the 175 if possible love my boat but put 2 big guys with a full live well and it takes forever to plain.

Go with the 175 if possible love my boat but put 2 big guys with a full live well and it takes forever to plain.
The boat is limited by gross weight, so you are obviously pushing the limits. I would suggest using your ice chest, which is located mid boat, as a live well and a portable battery operated aerator.
In addition, the built in live well is pretty noisy and will not allow you to sneak up on any fish.
Additionally, have your ‘big friend’ sit on the live well when trying to go from an idle to on plane; again it locates your weight to the center of the boat.
All boats need “accommodations”......your issue is just one of them!

The boat is limited by gross weight, so you are obviously pushing the limits. I would suggest using your ice chest, which is located mid boat, as a live well and a portable battery operated aerator.
In addition, the built in live well is pretty noisy and will not allow you to sneak up on any fish.
Additionally, have your ‘big friend’ sit on the live well when trying to go from an idle to on plane; again it locates your weight to the center of the boat.
REVISION: the ice chest is what I was recommending for the new live well-with a battery operated aerator. On launch, sit your large friend on that. Put no water in your original live well. Much less expensive than purchasing a new motor and worth the try!

If you are buying new definitely purchase the tandem axle trailer. I have a single axle Now but would like to convert to tandem.
I would recommend the 175 over the 150, the boat seems under powered with the 150.

I just converted my trailer to tandem axle. It was so overloaded that one hub actually split. If the 4 stroke 175 had been available when I ordered mine, I'd have it. The 150 is fine after you get out of the hole but the Z18 is tail heavy and needs more horsepower to get it on plane. Especially if you have a load of fuel and use the livewell. I keep my tank down to half or less now and it helps some.

I just converted my trailer to tandem axle. It was so overloaded that one hub actually split. If the 4 stroke 175 had been available when I ordered mine, I'd have it. The 150 is fine after you get out of the hole but the Z18 is tail heavy and needs more horsepower to get it on plane. Especially if you have a load of fuel and use the livewell. I keep my tank down to half or less now and it helps some.
I do the same on fuel, I also drain some water in the livewell. I have found that when idling out of a cove to the main lake it takes a bit to get on plane, but if I just hammer down it doesn’t hesitate and gets on plane quicker. I think putting a jack plate on it might help.

I put a TS 6" jackplate on mine set to 1 1/2". It didn't help the hole shot or the top end. Actually it probably ran the CG further aft. I experimented quite a bit with props also. The 4 blade has a better hole shot but suffered on top end. It also took a lot of steering inputs with throttle changes. The Tempest 22P gets out of the hole a little better but cut top end down to 55 and the midrange where I like to cruise suffered a lot. The Tempest 23 is the best for me. If I can get on plane, 4500 RPM gives me a 45 MPH cruise all day with great fuel economy.

If you haven't already, you could check your prop. Nitro has changed these a few times. I have z18 / 150 with Mercury fury 24P prop and an embarrassing lack of performance getting out of the hole when fully loaded UNTIL I tuned the prop by putting in the little black plugs that it came with. I went with the full plugs, not partial.

From what I have read some dealers like to leave these in the bag. My dealer told me about the plugs and even offered to swap props... -I am now very pleased with the performance.

If you haven't already, you could check your prop. Nitro has changed these a few times. I have z18 / 150 with Mercury fury 24P prop and an embarrassing lack of performance getting out of the hole when fully loaded UNTIL I tuned the prop by putting in the little black plugs that it came with. I went with the full plugs, not partial.

From what I have read some dealers like to leave these in the bag. My dealer told me about the plugs and even offered to swap props... -I am now very pleased with the performance.
Mine was delivered with a Fury 24. It was awful out of the hole but ran much faster midrange and top end. I don't remember how it was vented...I think it was the medium plugs. So, you have a good hole shot with no venting at all? Please describe?

Changed to a bravo I fs 21 pinch prop From mercury racing, no problem planning now and will still run 55 gps very happy with the setup.

Mine was delivered with a Fury 24. It was awful out of the hole but ran much faster midrange and top end. I don't remember how it was vented...I think it was the medium plugs. So, you have a good hole shot with no venting at all? Please describe?
I just replied to another post on porpoising and hole shots. The boat in the picture is my 2019 Z20, it has a 225 PRO XS 4 stroke. I have a Fury 23 on mine with no plugs for an explosive hole shot, it comes out of the hole nearly on plane. Mercury recommended no plugs on my setup. It's runs over 78 mph.

Latest posts

Back