From Maine to Missouri

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob S

Reaction score
Hi all, I have two questions and as the title says. "Maine to Missouri" First, I have retired this past year and will be looking for some retirement property in Maine, within 175 miles from Boston. I was up last year and saw numerous lakes, ponds, etc. I am looking for bass water, I have a 17' Pro Tracker (1996) with a 40hp, so I need something of significant size. I am looking for waterfront property that will allow my boat with no restrictions, I plan to make a planter out of my trailer. So any help on areas, ponds, contacts, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Second, i am heading out to Missouri in October, I will be staying in the Lake Ozark area near the Bagnall Dam, (east side of the lake off Business route 54). Unfortunately, I will NOT have my boat, as this is a business trip. The place we are staying is on the lake. What I am looking for is info on the lake, what type of fish do they have there, and what should I bring as far as tackle, lures, etc. Keep in mind it will be late October. I have no idea about the area or anything out there. Thanks in Advance.

I can help with the first. Depending on where you stayed last year, I suggest the Sebago Lake area or north. LOTS of lakes and ponds to fish within an hours drive.

Here is a R.E. broker that could help you out with property, it's the one I know of.

Let me know if you need anymore help. Congrats on retirement!

http://www.krainin.com/

I can help with the second.

Without a boat, fishing Lake of the Ozarks (LOZ) is going to be difficult. Union Electric company owns the lake, with private property owners able to build up right to the waterline. So anywhere from Bagnell Dam up lake for ninety miles or so, the shoreline is just packed with vacation homes, residences and businesses. To fish from shore, you'd have to go into Lake of the Ozarks State park or Ha Ha Tonka State Park.

LOZ has largemouth bass, Kentucky bass, white bass, both white and black crappie, catfish, and a small population of walleye. It's rumored to have smallmouth in it, but my guess is that those are at the upper ends where the main rivers dump into the lake, and if that's the case they aren't big. Fishing is usually for bass, crappie and catfish.

As far as what tackle to bring, I'd recommend paying close attention to the following website, as it has fishing reports for LOZ that will tell you where the various species are and what they're hitting on for that particular time of the year.

October is usually a fairly good month for fishing. The big boats are off the lake and its much calmer. The fish are in the middle of their fall feeding frenzy, prior to the onset of winter. Crappie fishing, especially, is best at LOZ in late-April, early-May, and October. But its best to periodically check the fishing report on the link, and check more frequently as you approach your trip. It will tell you what's happening, and give an idea of what to pack.
http://www.midwestbasstournaments.com/lakeozarks.htm

Back