Found a great wax for my boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I have spent the last couple of days really washing my boat and cleaning it out real good. It gets washed almost after every outing but this is the first time since i have had it that I have put so much detail in to it.

Any I bought a wax from BPS today that I really liked. It was rainy ALL day so i didnt' really get to use it. It dried off a little this afternoon so i stepped outside to do a section to see if I like it. I did about a 2 foot section and it really shines the boat up nice and gives it a NICE feel to it. I have a couple of spots where a tree rubbed up against the side of the boat and you can't even see those spots now.

The wax is called Meguiar's. It is number 50 and its a one step clean and wax.

I'll let you know how the rest of the boat goes and I'll also include a few pics of the boat all shined up!!!

BJ

Define this No-No. Because I wax all except the pad of the boat. Or any portion thats still i the water while running @ WOT. Is there another reason other than performance?

Do not wax the hull at all. It creates drag. The high performance guys actually lightly sand the pad portion of the hull. That is why there are special hull cleaners and why people can get away with spraying the hull with everything from Simple Green to that citrus orange cleaner. I cringe when I see people spraying the topcap with that stuff. It will strip your wax right off. Since there is none on the hull (wax), it's ok to spray it there.

TOXIC

I also think there is a huge difference between...

"waxing the bow"

and

"waxing the pad"

I wax everything I can see and get to... I stop at the bunk boards... never been a problem...

Of course, I never wax the prop!

You never see the hull any way, it's like waxing the undercarriage of your car. I don't wax mine and don't plan on it. It makes it easier to clean (read many options of cleaners) when if waxed, you would be limited to weaker cleaners. Most don't understand that after going through all of the work of waxing the hull (those parts you can reach unless you can lift it off the trailer), the first time you spray it with any kind of cleaner, you just took the wax off. Waste of time and money. Easier not to wax. AND.....you'd be suprized at the amount of effort and $$ some will go to for 1-3mph top end. Not me, but some.

TOXIC

I wax everything i can get to but not the actual pad itself. I find the wax helps me get the scum line off easier. I was told by a high performnce guru that sanding the bottom will increase the speed bec ause it has less surface tension. I believe this guy because he has raced drag boats and knows of what he speaks.

These are all very good ideas. Thanks for the input. Actually I already knew not to wax the pad (but I still have no clue what it is except for it is near the back). I was just planning on waxxing the sides and the front of the hull stopping where it starts to "flatten" out.

BJ

Okay, now for the argument against not waxing the pad.

Ken Kross, Kick'nBass owner, recently posted on BFHP that putting his product on the pad will increase top speed and not to put it on the prop because it'll just spin. I had to ask him about that. He said it was a performance boater that gave him that info. Said he got something like 3-5mph increase. But that's against everything else you read on BFHP that says wax will slow you down.

The argument on BFHP is that that wax creates the smooth surface and two pieces of glass don't slide well together or something like that. Anyway, the idea is that the pad "sticks" to the water if waxed. Okay, now if that's indeed the case, then putting wax on the prop should decreased slip because you're "gripping" the water better....

Okay, let's do this again... on one surface, it will make the boat stick to the water, but on the prop, it'll make the prop just spin... that makes NO sense. either it makes the boat stick or it makes the prop slip, but it can't do both.

I have been using Turtle Wax ( Spray-on wax ) Green bottle for years. Easy on , Easy off, just like windexing the windows..

Back