Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I stumbled into a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 for a nice price which I am going to look at tomorrow. It is loaded with the regular Eddie Bauer options plus a sunroof, rear air, and alloy wheels. There is no upgraded suspension, axle, or whatever it is you guys talk about. Ha!

Now, before I go buy anything like this, I want to hear of any objections to using this as my tow vehicle.

Reasons why I would do this:

1) It's American (that's for you guys)

2) I would have a much smaller loan and knock a few years off of paying it.

3) Cheaper gas (I can use 87 again)

4) Cheaper insurance

5) Much cheaper plates

6) More room for all my junk

The only thing this doesn't have the my Infiniti does is a fancy dash board and the wood grain trim. This would have heated seats which mine does not.

Lets hear it boys!!!

Make sure you get a tranny cooler Teri. Other than that you should be fine!

Mini

Is that something the dealer can install? Any idea how much that would cost?

Your frist reason doesn't make sense to me, because fords are made in mexico. I bought a nissan xterra because it's a great truck it can pull 5000 pounds but it's also built in the USA.. I like to support US workers I have no respect for companys like ford who look for cheaper labor..

that my 2 cents..

good look :)

with your choice

I find your Xterra comment interesting because I have a QX4 which is the same as a Pathfinder and it struggles to pull 3500 pounds up any hill and the back end sinks considerably when I hook up the boat. Why would an XTerra be so much better than a Pathfinder?

is it 4 wheel drive?some of the v-8's were not.

that should tow 5,000 no problem,the trans cooler can be a dealer install,cheaper if you do it yourself,or a local garage you trust can do.find the tranny lines coming out of the radiator and folow them to see if they go to the front of the radiator into another small radiator,if so it has the cooler on it.if it has the reciever type hitch with the 7 wire plug it has the towing option,so it more than likely has the cooler.

The Transmission on an Xterra is a lower gear ratio which is one of the reason it can pull more than most mid size SUV.. I know must of heard people say the old pathfinders and the new Xterras are dog motors, because they are slow. Well they are slow because they have high torque for engine that small(3.3 v6), I get my max torque at 1500rpms which is barely hitting the gas.. But don't get me wrong sometimes I wish I had an 8 banger. The new pathfinders motor the 3.5 I believe it gets it max torque at 3500 correct me if I am wrong, which is a hung difference when it comes to scaling a hill or pulling the boat out of the water.

X

What is the engine size?

I have a Mountaineer (2001) with the BIG v8, and that thing will pull a boat up the side of a mountain.

Tex

Mine engine is the new one (2003). I believe it is 3.5L and hp is 240 and torque is 265. I think max is reached at 3200 rpms. I thought this vehicle would be fine but there have been times when I wished I had a V8. Sounds like a commercial. ha!

I LOVE the Infiniti inside and out but it's very expensive and I am trashing the inside with mud, dogs, gears, hauling, etc. Why pay that much?

I don't know anymore and that's my God given right as a female. :)

Teri

The Eddie Bauer should already have a tranny cooler and towing package but check anyway. I had the fully loaded Explorer with the 302 (5.0) engine. It had fulltime four wheel drive which I was skeptical about. I am a beliver now. I put that vehicle into, and better yet, got out of places I had no right to be. Navigated through snow up to the top of the wheelwells with no problem. Buried it in mud while quail hunting up to the axles. No problem. It was the best vehicle I have ever owned. It pulled my 93 Nitro 170 like a toy at speeds up to 75mph and still got 16mpg. Mine had 138,000 miles on it and still looked new. The only problem was the AC condensor crapped out at 119,000. If the 2002 is half as good I'd go for it. The only reason I don't have one now is I need a pickup to haul the boat and camper.

Fatrap

The Ford engine is 5.3L V8 16 valve whatever it is....I don't feel like looking it up and that's all I can remember. :)

Teri, I don't think I could ever have made a better argument for trading. Less expensive and besides, the Eddie Bauer has a nice interior too.

FINALLY, someone driving an SUV that actually knows what SPORT UTILITY means, not some "Soccer Urban Vehicle"...

Your right it does reach it max torque at 3200, which is 1700 rpm higher than Xterra. But your truck has 262 pounds of torque and mine only has 202 torque. Different motors and different transmissions.. just remember the gold rule is buy a truck that makes u happy, I love my X cause I can beat the living life out of it during fishing and hunting seasons and the interior does take a beating. That why did not choose leather; I choose neoprene seats ;)

Tranny cooler like Mini said, and beef up the rear suspension with an added leaf spring and you'll have no problem towing at all. But that V-8 won't be much cheaper on gas like you might think. Yes you can run 87, but it will eat a lot more of it, so it's all relative.

Teri, That explorer should be fine. if it had a v6 i would say no way because of the experience my brother in law had trying to tow two snowmobiles with his. I wouldnt do the speed limit down a hill never mind up it. The v8 should be fine. im surprised the v6 in the infinity didnt get it done. If the rear sags too much with the boat on it i would have a set of air bagin installed. You can inflate them to carry the weight and deflate them when the boat is not on so the truck will still ride good.

When it comes to torque its not about where it makes its peak but more about how much it has and how it gets to its peak. A motor that makes a big amount of torque low and drops off fast will not tow as well as a motor that builds it a little higher but holds its torque over a broader rpm range. a good example of this is mt dakota 4.7v8 vs my fathers tahoe 5.7 v8. Around town both tow well, I have used his tahow when i was between trucks last year. on the freeway its a much different story. my dakota outright takes it to his tahoe. His tahoe makes all its torque very low and peaks at about 2300 rpm , my dakota builds good torque low as well but carries all the way to 3200 rpm where it peaks. What happens is on the freeway the tahoe is beyond its torque curve and feels sluggish on hills where my dakota still has plenty of pull left to climb anything. Both these vehicles are of similar weight and run on the same size tires, the only difference is i have 3.55 gears and he has 3.73(should be better for towing) but my truck feels much stronger pulling the same boat.

I am thinking that Tox may get in one this one, as he has an Explorer he tows his 929 with.

Carlos <--- I am partial to GM products myself....

Teri:

Forget all the technical jargon...

Two words...

HEATED SEATS!!!...

Best option ever invented.

It will handle your boat and take care of your butt...

With money left over too boot...

Go for it... (I can't manage to keep one over a year either... It's our curse I guess...)

JJ..

I think I was wrong about the engie size. I believe the V8 is a 4.6L. The 2001 has the V8 5.0L. Maybe the 5.3L is an option that I read about but I remember seeing it.

Ok, a buddy of mine and I just stopped at a few lots on the way home. I never paid much attention to the Mercury Mountaineer. I actually liked the interior of the Mountaineer better than the Explorer but the exterior of the Explorer. He agreed.

Any opinions on Lincolns and AWD vs 4WD?

AWD vs 4WD.....All Wheel Drive is NOT the same as 4WD and don't let anyone tell you it is!! 4WD, when engaged sends power to ALL 4 wheels...very powerful and excellent for off road use and pulling boats up slippery ramps! AWD on the other hand is a function of the tranny that will send additional power to any wheel that is experiencing a slipping condition....if you're just driving down the road and the AWD is on,then all the power is being sent to the rear wheels....if you start to slip or slid (hydroplane) or you're on snow/ice,..then the tranny will try and compensate and send additional power to the front wheels, to try and give the driver more control. 4WD in my opinion is better for towing or off roading when you really need it...go with that option over the AWD if you can! "AWD" is a Soccer Mom option,..."4WD" is for YOU!!

Mac

Point taken, Mac. Thank you for that!

You guys rock!!

Teri-

Just typed a long response to tell you all about 4wd vs awd - then the system trashed it. The only time you would need true 4wd is if you do serious off roading. Otherwise, you should do fine with standard AWD.

bottom line - my brother tows his ski boat over the Poconos and along the mountains and hills of virginia with plenty of power and control. With new tires 2 years ago, the sway went down about 50%. He really enjoys it. His boat package weighs easily over 5,000# and has a tongue weight over 400#. He drives a 2000 Explorer with the 5.0 liter and tow package. A great towing vehicle. On long drives without the boat he would rather drive his 92 Dodge minivan as the explorer is not as comfortable. For towing it is great.

Now that we have cleared the air of the testosterone, you choice boils down to "do you want to give up your luxury ride for a vehicle that can tow more and not get as good of gas milage and probably will not be as dependable"?

good luck - david.....

I saw the Mexico comment and Randy's..... I drive by the Ford plant here in St. Louis frequently - the holding pens are full of Explorers!

Practically speaking, Teri, AWD will suit your needs just as well as 4WD. Maybe better. Don't let the "soccer mom/guy thing" comments get to you!

Listen to Mikel - make sure the colors coordinate! LOL!!

me!

Oh, yeah..... Randy! Join up! We've got a couple of other 'Toon Drivers here! Fine boats! We'd love to have you as a Member!

OK, OK, Teri didn't ask WHAT to drive just if the Explorer will work.....Short answer....yes. I do pull the 929 with a 1997 Explorer, 5.0V8, tow package, AWD, tranney cooler(part of the tow pkg.) 139K and 3.73 gears. I will be honest, it does have trouble in the mountains on the types of grades that have the cut outs for semi's and they can only run 35-40. I have never been bogged down that low but it "strains". I have NEVER had a problem at a ramp with the AWD and I have had it in the water up to the rear doors. Let's not confuse AWD, 4X2 and 4X4. Mac is right on the AWD but true 4X4 requires "locking" front hubs either manually (buy getting out and turning a locking mechanism on the hubs themselves) or air lockers which use a compressor and a switch inside the cab. Any vehicle that has the 4wheel hi, 4wheel low, settings and can switch on the fly, is by definition a 4X2. I also have had a couple of Jeep Wranglers (one with lockers and my current one without).

You will be fine. Check your rear end gearing (on the truck, lol) just to make sure (there is a code on the door panel that will ID the rear end and the package). Verify the trannie cooler. I get around 10-12 mpg with 87 octane. If you know you are going to pull in the mountains I would upgrade to mid-grade for those tanks you use while there. I have pulled cross country more than once and have no complaints. Also look at replacing your tires (when they wear out) with something a little more aggressive. Again truthfully.....Would I do it again,... yes, but I am going out today to look at real trucks...Chevy/GMC, 2500HD, Duramax Diesel. Just because I've always wanted one arrrr, arrrrr, arrrrr!!!

TOXIC

ihvae a 1994 and i love it i tow my pro 17 withit all the time and it only a v6

Teri, if you go to www.mysporttrac.com. We have a small Explorer discussion group there, with some knowledgeable owners. Quite a few Sport Trac owners also have regular Explorers as their second vehicle.

The 4.6 V8 is not an overwhelmingly powerful motor; it's a a bit of an upgrade over the 4.0 V6 that is the base in the Explorer. In general, both of these motors, because of the extra displacement, produce better towing characteristics than the smaller Japanese V6s, but they aren't quite as good at towing as the old pushrod 5.0L that Ford put in so many Explorers and F-150s over the last decade or more.

You might want to ask around about the towing characteristics of the latest generation Explorer. It's big claim to fame when it was launched was the independent rear suspension (replaced the traditional rear axle/leaf springs on the previous generation Explorer). I haven't heard anything negative, but I don't know if it changed the towing personality of the vehicle. My guess is it may be an improvement.

Also, as you probably know, the incentives on 2003 Ford models are very high right now. Make sure you aren't passing up a better deal somewhere on a dealer's excess inventory.

I spent several hours today looking at SUV's and to be honest, I didn't find one that even remotely made me think it would be worth it to give up my Infiniti.

I went to look at the 2002 Eddie Bauer and it was green and tan which I wasn't crazy about and it had a few scratches that, as picky as I am, would have drove me nuts. I didn't drive it, I just moved on because the salesman left me waiting and it was freezing! To be honest, I like the old body style better than the new one and Rich, the old ones had a better engine. I saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee I liked but I don't know much about their reliablily and I am not sure that would be any better than what I have.

The only SUV out there that I like inside and out better or as much as my Infiniti is the new Toyota 4runner and the Lincoln Aviator, both of which are more expensive than my current car.

For now, I am keepin' my soccer mom yuppie SUV because it is just better than what I have seen.

P.S. Car salesmen are such a$$holes (most of them anyway).

Teri-

I have never been impressed with Jeep. While they have a strong 4 wheel drive system, I think that the rest of the vehicle is awful. Others may chime in to the other side, but I don't think they are well designed and that they don't hold up well. Remember - free advise is worth what you pay for it. :)

david....

Now, I didn't see this one today. I am the current high bidder on Ebay. If I can pick it up for $23,000, I will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2441506535

Ya, I know. I missed the part this person wrote at the bottom. I doubt I will get it for even $23. Not sure it would be worth the trouble for more than that. The one I looked at today was listed for $24 so I could pick one up eventually if I wanted to.

Back