? for 901 owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Chance

Reaction score
What are your setup numbers? I am seeing many 901 owners with same setup as me getting more top end and was wondering what setup everyone has. Have set mine up according to Nitro/Tracker rigging specs. This is how they setup the Nitro pros boats before they go out. Here are my numbers, tell me what you think

2002 901 200 efi 2.5 liter

23p tempest plus 2 plugs removed and 3rd has large plug

10in fixed jackplate

propshaft 3.5" below pad

5800 rpms

59 mph

good rs, just want more top end. Hole shot is ok.

I know this is a heavy boat with a weaker motor, but I think I should still be around low to mid 60s.

If i go with a higher pitch, my rpms will suffer along with holeshot

any ideas?

looking for others with same boat/motor and how they are set up.

thanks

ps. have heard the hydrofoil stabilizers, although ugly, work well on nitros??

thanks again

Dchance

The foil won't help with mph, is the mph reading speedo or gps? Not sure what max rpm is for your engine but it sounds pretty good to me.

BF

reading is gps. 5800 is right where I need to be rpm wise, just wanting more top end.

I ran one for three years with the same setup... You are about as good as your gonna get.

You can look into getting some prop work done... you may get a few more miles out of that.

It's a good boat ,wish i still had mine!!!!

KB

Oh Yeah... DON'T put a foil on that boat... I think a gentleman once said it's a bad fix for a bad setup...

I have a 04 901 with a 200 efi 3.0 25p with a full load and 1/2 tank gas live wells filled two people 68.3 GPS 6100 rpm ..my best was 74.6 GPS the boat will do this with alot of hours playing with the set up you need a power jack plate and move your wight around to get the best of both top end and holeshot and get a 25p

Have not been on in a while. My 2005 901 200 optimax has a powertech 25p and is 2.75 below pad, 10 inch fixed plate. GPS speed 71 by myself, 2 people and gear 67 both at 5450 rpms. I would like to get my prop reworked to bring up my rpms. Hope this helps.

there is NO way you should be getting only 59 mph with that boat. I'd guess that you haven't got her trimmed out right and you have a rebuilt prop... just a guess.. if you are getting that speed with a 23p prop - that seems way UNDER propped. JR jump in any time now ;-)

BTW, standard is a 25P tempest plus although a lot of factors play in to whether that is the right prop for you or not.

I've got my own set of issues that I'm working through by borrowing a few props from friends, but basically I'm running 65-66mph at 5200 rpms. 200 Opti (200 hp is 200 hp)..typically i run in the low 70's....

david

Pat should jump in here!!!

The 23 p is the stock prop for the 2.5 EFI

You guys pushing those numbers for a 901 should be darned proud of them, if your getting it.

The best i could get out of mine with the same setup other than a worked prop... balanced, cupped, was 61 or so... you can tweak it around a little, but you got what you got with that boat and setup.

KB

Do NOT compare a 2.5 to a 3.0 Merc, totally different motors, and advice given for one does not apply to the other.

901/2.5 is a pig holeshot with a full load, and you have to compromise some speed to achieve a mediocre holeshot. A foil will make handling worse, so don't go there.

But...that combo should be 64 mph or so, at your current settings. Are you sure you're motor is putting out 100%?

Had compression check done and motor checks out good. How can I be sure my tach is correct?

I do have a heavy load. I can probably get 60-62 without all my crap in the boat.

Was hoping like Pat said to get 64 out of her.

Will the vent holes in the tempest affect the top end?

Pat,

What would a 24p trophy or tempest do for me? would it be that much worse than the 23 out of the hole? Possibly get a little more lift?

DC

I have a 2006 901 w/200 Opti, 10" CMC Hydraulic jackplate. Here are the numbers for my boat with 1/2 tank of gas, livewells 1/2 full, full tackle load, and me.

The TRO4 and VMX are PowerTech Props recommended to me by Pat.

This is in Florida on hot and humid Lake Okeechobee.

Prop GPS RPMs Hole Shot

23P Tempest Plus 64.8 mph Exc Rev Lmtr Awesome

25P Tempest Plus 66.4 mph 5450 RPMs Real Pig

25P Tempest Plus less 2 plugs 66.8 mph 5600 RPMs Good

24P TRO4 64.4 mph 5450 RPMs Better

25P VMX 67.3 mph 5600 RPMs Good

Back