Fogging?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about injecting a protective coating of oil on the inside of the engine to keep the internal parts from rusting while in storage. Metal heats and cools the moisture in the air residual moisture inside the engine can rust parts. In carbureated engines it's done by warming the engine to operating temps. Then disconecting the gas line and spraying an fogging agent into the carbs as the engine runs out of gas. Simple as that.

fatrap

Hey Fatrap, Where would one purchase the "fog"? What is the real product name? I have a '03 Merc. 90.

Looks like I'm not going to get to fish much this winter. Back in the summer, I got a 1970 Chevrolet C-10 to restore for my son to drive when he hits 16, 2 and 1/2 years away. Looks like this project is going to dominate my winter. I have to say, my son and I are getting even closer as we work together. Not a bad trade at all.

You can also fog the motor by spraying the fogging oil into the carb throat. Thats the way the merc fog oil says to do it. I personally dont run the motor out of gas, i put sta-bil in it and its never been a problem.

Steve merc makes a product called Storage Seal that is designed for this very task, it should be available at any merc dealer.

I get mine at WallyWorld in the Sporting good section. They jusually have boat stuff. Anchor's trolling motors ropes. It's called Engine Fogger or Fogging Spray. Tall aresol can with a plastic tube taped to the side. You can also get it a Napa or auto parts stores. I forgot to say I pull the plugs one at a time and spray inside the cylinders then turn the engine over a couple of chugs. It might pop a couple times but no biggy.

When you crank it up in the spring your gonna leave a smoke cloud that will kill every skeeter in a half mile.

It's also a good time to drain the lower unit and replace the oil, pull the prop to check for fishing line on the prop shaft. Give the bearings a pump or two of grease and your ready.

fatrap

Thanks Jim B and Fatrap. Now, if either one of you want to come to East TN and help with the truck....

Back