Flooded Timber Survey Glass vs. Tin

• Thread starter Christopher Laurencio
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Laurencio

Reaction score
Okay I'm a trouble maker today,

If given the choice and you were going to fish in flooded timber, with tree stumps just below the surface (you need polarized glasses)!. What type bass boat would you prefer to be in.

Would the weight of a glass boat break under the pressure of the stump? or sit on top of it.

Would the alum give a little under the weight of the submerged stump and bend/fold the hull?

Would flooded timber scratch a glass boat or just put a rub mark on it?

CJL

I would do tin, last weekend I went fishing and I beached the boat to get my trailer and I guy there with a glass boat was like wow I wish I could do that.. I am not saying U can't but U have a greater chnce of messing up your hull with a glass boat. I always thought glass for sea and tin for the lakes..

X

I would take a glass boat but i would also be very careful. regardless of glass or tin. I have fished a flooeded timber lake a number times with my old champ and never had any problems with it. To answer your questions..

"Would the weight of a glass boat break under the pressure of the stump? or sit on top of it." My boat has either ridden up on the stumps i have hit or pushed them to the side. I have my doubts that a stump could put a hole in it at trolling speeds..

"Would the alum give a little under the weight of the submerged stump and bend/fold the hull? "

Yep sure can. I have a 12' aluminum boat that was built in the 50's and its made from much thicker aluminum then they use today even on the bigger tin boats. It has lots of big dents and gouges from fishing in flooded timber. I would think a bigger heavier tin boat with thinner metal would dent more. I also think that could be a huge problem for a performance hull like the avalanche, you mess up the running surface and that boat is going to have problems.

"Would flooded timber scratch a glass boat or just put a rub mark on it? "

I have never had timber "scratch" my hull, scuff marks yes but they all have been able to be removed with little effort.

I got "beached" on a stump last year and didn't think I was gonna' get off it!

Finally had to fire up the motor and put a big ol' roostertail in the air to get it off:p

I've got a few small dents errr I mean "battlescars":lol:

I use the glass all the time no problems just bounce off them...:D

i would go TIN because it takes less water to float, most glass boats take around 12 inches to float, my old tracker could float in 8 inches.

i fished a flooded timber lake this yr in a tourny, i was a little nervouse going in but found out that most of the time you just bounce off. and the others you gluide up on. no damage to the boat at all. i did have to fire up the big motor twice to pull off the stumps. when i got home and crawled under the boat, i found that there was no scratches at all.

so go glass !

GregD

I fish Toledo Bend and Red River in Louisiana...there are NO lakes with more stumps!!

I fish out of a 929 and i assure u it can find a stump when nothing else will. But i have not had any problems so far. The stumps have put a few scratches on the sides of my boat but nothing bad.

I also duck hunt, fish, frog hunt out of a 1650 Express with a Go Devil cajun outboard and i can assure you there is no tougher boat in the world. We have had it stuck on stumps that we had to get out and carry it off of...no dents on the bottom whatsoever.

I wish Express would let me and buddy do a commercial for them...we could sell a ton for em...we go froggin where u can't float a stick or even walk. Man those are tough boats

RW

OK lets just make this more confusing, go with the Triumph Roplene, billed as the "World's Toughest Boats"

190bay_front.jpg

I've seen those in mags Trep....something like three different composites? Can't remember:wacko:

Here's the website Tee - http://www.triumphboats.com

Our boats are manufactured with Marine Grade Polyethylene; cast in one piece and virtually indestructible utilizing our proprietary Roplene

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I thought that was Nitro:huh:.........eeeeeewwwwwwwww bet I'll catch hell for that:lol::p

Maybe those boats aren't for you southerners if they're gonna melt around the trailer!! LOL!!

Bob G.

Xmytruck/CJL.

You can beach glass with a keelshield...go look at the site, they have one beached on the concrete ramp. Had an employee of BPS show me pictures of his glass boat after hitting a submerged tree at 60mph, keelshield saved the hull (not a scratch) but his skeg got busted off. The keelshield was bunged up where he hit but the hull was fine.

TOXIC

Looks like this turned out to be a good survey of who owns glass and who owns tin.:unsure:

Harpo

Tox - On a keelsheild or other bumber, that works for a short term beaching assuming the boat stays level (on the keel). Sunday we beached the Tracker along side a bunch of glass boats (one bass, and a few ski) and the heavy waves pushed all the boats almost on to shore parallel to the shoreline so a lot of the bottom behind the beach bumper (and my aluminium bottom) were rocking on the sand/rocks.

So, oh great and knowledgable boating dude and dudettes, which takes more of a permenant damage? Does the fiberglass get worn off by the rocks/sand and do long term damange (water gets in there??) or will the Tin boat (if it has rivits) get rivits loose or if there are no rivits will the aluminium wear through????

Choose your poision.....both will suffer. Rocking on a KeelShield is much better than rocking on your bare keel. I always pull in so that the stern is in deeper water. Throw an anchor out the back to keep it from swinging in and tie off the front. If the water is too shallow, I'll anchor (2 anchors 1 front/1 back) in deeper water. Actually with the Keelshield 8 inches wide, you got most of the surface area covered that makes contact. If it's sand, I'll just run her up till she's solid, no rocking. Rocks are a different story. Normally that's not where you want to beach anyway.

TOXIC

How's this for wood.. Rodman and Stickmarsh. Have fished both in glass never had a problem with the hull. I have gotten stuck on stumps in Rodman, not fun also its hell on the nerves always thinking about messing up that shiny glass boat. Have also fished Stickmarsh several times out of a Roughneck 14 foot jon boat, allot more fun, no worries about bustin up hull, wish I still had that boat for fishing Rodman.

Toxic,

I have a 04 avalanche and was wondering if you can put the keelshield on a tin boat? I thought somewhere down the road I had heard that you could not put them on alluminum boats? with the painted bottom I'd be affraid to beach mine.

Back