Fishing Line

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
What does everyone use?

Right now I use a variety of things

At this moment I have 10# Trilen Big Game on my crankbait rod

I have 12# Seagar Flouro on my two spinnerbait rods

For flipping I have 20# Pline Flouro

What line do you use? I've been reading on another board about something called McCoy's fishing line, everyone has talked very highly of it....anyone on here use it?

BJ

For Flippin' I go back and forth between 20# P-Line or 30# Power Pro.

For Spinnerbaits/Buzzbaits I've been likeing Iron Silk but also use Trilene XT or 20# P-Line.

For Topwater I like 14# Trilene XL

For Crankbaits I'm trying the Rapala Long Cast in 12#

For the Spinning Rod I'm useing 8# Cajun Red.

Never tried the McCoys but have heard good and bad about it. I bought a spool of Silver Thread at the tackle show but haven't spooled it up yet.

Harpo

BJ, without wanting to sound like the smarty that I am... 14# BPS free line is some good stuff, especially for the price. Silver Thread is also very good line, ONLY buy it at the tackle show in the big spools.

You also carry (usually in the saltwater section) Ande line in Envy Green (it's the floro green color hi-vis). I've got some of that in 20#, and I'm either a real pixie or 20# my eye! You almost have to wrap that stuff around a boat clete and crank the motor just to break off. It's not CHEAP, but for true high-vis line for catfishing, I really like it. I tried their 30# for leaders and that stuff is REALLY wirey... too thick and unflexible for my tastes.

I'm not a fan of big game, period.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of Big Game either. I've tried it several times because so many guys talk it up but it's too stiff for my tastes. I've been wanting to try the new Seaguar lines...I hear that they are very good.

Harpo

Flipping and worming 65# stren super braid lo- vis green

Crankin and topwater 20# stren super braid lo-vis green

Carolina 30# stren super braid main line 14# trilene xt leader

all other reels... senko example 15# triple fish ( camo)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....we dont have a salt water section at the OKC store.................(I told myself that if one more person asked where the salt water stuff is i would scream!....lol)

Thanks for the input.

BJ

BPS Excel for me. I use everything from 4lb. test on my ultra lights up to 20lb. on my flippin stick. I've tried most of the name brand (read more expensive) lines, but I always come back to Excel. I've never had a problem with it.

Steve

BJ,

I use almost nothing but McCoys mean green! (Braids for frogs or spinner/buzz baits) McCoys from 6-8lb spinning and McCoys from 12-20 for casting gear, all techniques! That stuff is strong and tough and it doesn't have very much memory. Only two thing I don't like about the lighter lines is visibilty, these old eyes lose it during certain light conditions. But it's so sensitive you will learn to appreciate "feeling" the bites then! It also will twist fairly quickly when dropshotting (what line doesn't though) but it's benefits far outweigh those negatives.

Do a search back on my postings for my otter story last October and you'll see why I'm convinced McCoys is the best hybrid line for the money!

Tom

TOM!!!! Where ya been? I haven't seen you here in ages!! You and Big John!!!

BJ, that's odd, seeing how you have stripers in Texoma. Okay, so it ain't saltwater. And maybe y'all just don't seperate your stuff out like Grapevine does. I can't imagine not having the bulk spools of line or some of the s/s hooks and such. I went to basspro to make sure you had an Outdoor World instead of a Sportsman's Center (like Memphis has). Your manager's name seems to be the one that used to be at Grapevine, but either that pic is HORRIBLE or the guy that was always in that office wasn't him. I wonder who he ticked off to be moved to Soonerland. :)

Hey BJ, Now that you work at BPS, try the XPS Flourocarbon. Super stuff, and with our discount:D, it's a reel (pun intended) bargin. I've got it on my spinnerbait rod, my pitchin rod (around here, we pitch to mostly deep edges in very clear water), and my tube draggin rod. XPS 10# mono is on my crankin rod, and Spider Wire easy cast super mono on my spinning rig for skippin docks. Really, try the XPS flouro. It's great stuff.

Craig

me!

Still fish every weekend plus and look at most of the posts here everyday, I just don't type all that well and it takes me alot of time to get a response done so I abstain(sp) in "most" cases. But if ya all hit on something I feel strongly about I will have to put my 2 cents in,:lol:!

Haven't heard from Big John in a while, last time I talked to him he seemed to be very busy with the job and young family to get much time to fish anymore. Guess I should look him up but with all the tourneys and pre-fishing I'm doing, I hardly have a free fishing weekend....such a "terrible" problem to have for sure!:D

I continue to lurk.

Tom(fishfafun)

Back