Fishing Line secrets-REVEALED!!!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Corrigal

Reaction score
Someone in a post the other day asked if I would explain the dating codes on fishing line.....here goes... on the spool label below the description, there is a code that begins with a letter the has usually 3 sets of digits behind it. here is an example.... L-02-2-21. The letter in the code stands for the month it was made a+ Jan. B= Feb. C= Mar.. I am sure you can figure out the rest the 1st set of digits is the year 01= 2001 02= 2002 03=2003 etc. the second set of digits is the day of the month. The last set of digits is not important to you but is a manufacturing code. I hope this helps everyone and remember this is for PureFishing brand lines only.

The date of the example would be December 2nd, 2002. I will leave this up for a couple days, then I will be editing the message.

Bill

Now that's good stuff!! Now a sceintific question....How long (assuming that the line is out of sun and humidity, before it starts to break down? AND...what effect do flouresent (as in store) lights have on it? Reason I ask is that I went into a store to buy my wife an expensive mixer....a Kitchenaid, if I remember correctly, and when the clerk brought the one from the stockroom it was a completly different color (I thought the one on display was Ivory). The one he brought out was white.....He told me that they were the same color and that the store lights do that to the finish, they have to change them out every couple of months!!......anyway, how long before you require it to be pulled, or do you?

TOXIC

UV light will begin to break down Nylon fishing line , the degree of breakdown will depend on the intesity of the UV light. For Example, I would never buy fishing line from a store that had his display facing the storefront windows in direct line of sunlight.You will see this at smaller retailers and other stores that sell tackle as a convenience item such as gas stations , convenience stores. The line at these places is usually older and more prone to light damage. Line should be kept in dark, cool place with a good humidity level.yes ....line can dry out.

What else do you wanna know guys?

If you took the wheels off of your canoe and rolled it up hill, how many pancakes would it take to cover your dog house?

Aw c'mon guys, champion is giving us the chance to pick his brain about line!!

World hunger....Canoe wheels and pancakes indeed!!LOL

I want a tour of where they make the stuff. I have seen TV shows that show it being drawn out but that is cool stuff to me. I mean look at the diameter and the poundage that it will hold. I saw where Patagonia can make a fleece type jacket out of recycled 2 liter pop containers...AND I understand that they have now (not for fishing) developed a fiber that is stronger than steel.

This is good info...how many are pulling out their line boxes and looking at the date? I know I'm gonna look at the placement of the line displays the next time I am in the store!!

Thanks champion!!

TOXIC

I'm in for a tour if there is any place around here.

david.....

That is cool... I never knew you could roof a dog house with pancakes... And, I will be taking the tour... Champion are you "there" in Spirit Lake, IA?

No Greg

I am the product manager for Pure Fishing Canada I am located in Manitoba Canada ..But OI have a summer place on Lake of the woods in Kenora Ontario..(3 hr drive)

I have an actual line question for you. Will storing you rod in a boat with a fitted cover cause the line to become brittle? The boat is exposed to intense midday and afternoon sun and I am sure the temperature is well over 100 degrees under the cover. i understand the UV light breaks the bonds in between the nylon monomers, but what does heat do? Thanks

1fish

If the pancakes are made from bisquick lite, will the rain leak through the roof and get the dogs hair wet?

That brings up another question:

Nevermind

Just keeping lite!

Wolf

Latest posts

Back