Fishing in a down pour

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
I couldn't take the forecast for this weekend so I decided to ignore it. The wife and kids are away for Sat and Sat night so I decided to head out today, Sat., and fish through the down pours here in Mass. When it comes to this time of year, I feel somewhat pressured to get as much fishing in as possible before the winter no to mention that fall fishing can be some of the best. The air and water were about 70 deg. It pretty much poured this afternoon but it was an awesome day on the water .. all 6 hours of it! I was the only one fool enough to be on the lake but it was worth every minute! The fishing was great. Caught a bunch including a 4, 3, and a 2.5. The only down side was I ran my bilge so much it wore my battery down and I couldn't start the big motor to get back to the launch. Luckily I was a 15 minute trolling motor ride back to the launch. Great day!

Paul

I too went out in that down pour yesterday here in Delaware. It was miserable but still fun at the same time. We caught around 20 bass & 6 pickeral. No bass over 3 but still caught some fish in that mess. I had to run the bilge every hour or other hour. I could tell when the front of the boat started tipping more towards the front...then I knew it was time.

I had a day like that last Fall. Started out just cloudy then a light rain that I didn't even bother to put on my Frogg Togg overalls then came the real rain. I had to strip off my jacket in order to put on the pants so I got wet anyway......lesson learned.:rolleyes: I had a great day, catching 6 or 7 really nice ones with a couple of them in the +5 lb class, all caught on a black w/ gold colorado blade Red River spinnerbait. Everytime I would try something else all I did was get wet.

Harpo

I've been out the last 2 days in a row and yesterday (Saturday) it unloaded on me. I had clients and they met me at the ramp and after I took one look at them I told them to go on back home!! I, of course put the boat in and fished. At least 25 fish with a 4lber thrown in for good measure. Took the same clients out today and didn't do nearly as well.

TOXIC

dam it... I so wanted to go and my wife was calling me nuts that I could not take one week off for fishing....

Some of my best fish have come in a down pour. This weekend we fished Lake George 15 mph out of the north but we caught fish.

Nothing I hate worse than fishing in a strong wind. Anything over12 or 15 mph and I *****in'.

Harpo

Back