Fishing Gloves

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herndonpro

Reaction score
I like to fish during the winter, but can never keep my hands as warm as I would like while fishing. I have a great pair of deer skin mittens for running the boat, but have found nothing that will keep my hands both warm and dry while fishing and still be able to cast.

Anyone have any suggestions? I had my first battle with the cold weather a couple of weekends ago so it got me thinking I better get prepared for the "Not So Memorial" on the hot side.

Thanks,

Steve

Neoprene. The BPS up here sells a couple of different ones.

I have a pair of Nike windproof gloves that are pretty nice. But I hate fishing with gloves.

Ice fishing its a must. Let me find a link.....

I use a pair of wool fingerless gloves and for me that does the trick when i need them. I am like Mini, i really dont like fishing with gloves either unless its so cold that i have to.

I bought a pair of the $10.99 neoprene gloves from Bass Pro for the after Day 1 of WBT. These gloves were not very warm, maybe needed an inner lining of some sort, and I could not fish in them. They were waterproof but didnt do me much good.

I use the fingerless wool gloves also, but it has to be pretty cold. I lived in Alaska for several years and my hands don't get real cold down here in the "Lower 48".

Scott

I have notoriously cold hands, but live around cooling lakes that are great fishing all winter long. Last winter I found a pair of polartec camo mittens at gander mountain that have the warm pack pockets in the back of the finger part of the mittens. They also are sloted and hinged so you can pull them back and out pops your fingers in a very thin, but nice sewn in finger glove. when you pull back the mitten tops they have magnets in them that secure them to the back of your hand to keep them out of the way when you cast. I had fished in light polertec gloves before so I have learned long ago how to cast a baitcaster with gloves on. I think these were listed to be for bow hunters, but work great for me. The warmer packets make a huge difference when you are moving from spot to spot on a cold day or for a quick warm-up during fishing. They paid for themselves last March on Lake Fork Texas when the morning launch air temps were in the mid 30's. I would highly reccomend these to anyone.

I buy the brown jersey gloves that are sold at most gas stations and hardware stores for about a dollar a pair. They work well and when one pair gets wet, I change to a dry pair.

Thanks, for the input. I saw some fleeced lined neoprene gloves in the link that Mini provided. I may give them a try, I inherited cold hands from my dad and hate cold weather, but love to fish so I'll keep looking for something.

Steve

I fish with wool gloves and cut out the index fingertip on the right hand. It is the best I've found. While running I use thick Gore Tex duck hunting gloves, but you really can't fish with them.

My vote here in MA is the wool fingerless, but my wife got a better pair. They are wool fingerless with a mitten the pulls over the fingers. Great to drive peel back and fish. I also use a pair of old diving gloves that I have cut the trigger finger so I can have it pulled back. both very warm.

I see the wool gloves are popular. Do you hands stay dry?

Steve

Yep. Wool naturally repels and wicks away water. (So say the sheep. :lol: ) I wouldn't say they keep your hands toasty, but much better and dryer than the man made materials. I've had a bunch and the ragg wool gloves are the ones I keep in my pockets. They're not as bulky and take up little room when it warms up and you eventually take them off. Plus, when you forget you laid them down and blow them off the deck, they're only $7 to replace. ;):D

I just can't fish with gloves on. Short of frostbite I won't wear em'. My hands just get used to the cold and I will put on a pair of thinsulate gloves to run from one spot to another but the key is to never let your hands get real warm cause if you do they're gonna get cold....once I am outta the truck I keep my hands cold but not frozen. The only time I have a problem is if it sleets or snows because once they get wet they will get extra cold. Now after I get off the water.....my hands will sometimes swell up to the point I cant make a fist but they don't hurt. I've tried all of the gloves and I still fish neekid:lol::lol:

TOXIC

Wool will keep you warm if wet. Thats the best part about them. I hate the fact they are snaggy to hooks.....!

Latest posts

Back