Fishing gear marketing/turnover

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I've got a minor beef with BPS and some other branded rods/reels.

It takes me some time to decide if I like a particular rod/reel combo. It has a lot to do with durability, and sometimes how well other people do with the gear. Unfortunately, when I realize how much I like a particular combo, it's oftren gone from the shelves, replaced by the new model.

Case in point. BPS' entry level rod over the last couple of years was a basic graphite rod, I believe called the Graphite Classic...very dark gray rod with cork handle, available in one piece spinner and baitcaster, typical lengths from 5' to 6'6". Priced below the Tourney Special line. I found that these, mated to Quantum's SXT reels, were a great combo. No matter whose hands I put them in, they work, from kids, to adults who had never fished before. The rods are stout but forgiving, and the reels very smooth and dependable. And at about $50 per combo, an absolute bargain. I've got two, and wish I had four more.

And there's the rub. Can't find 'em anymore. Sure, there is a replacement line available, and I am sure I can find a similar reel, but the process starts all over again.

Obviously, with higher end gear, you get more model continuity. But these rods and reels are what I keep handy for guests, and I don't mind grabbing one myself when the opportunity presents itself. Just wish they were around longer.

It's what happens when the bean counters are in control and give the styling and marketing departments have more clout than the engineering and design department. Case in point, the American automobile business in the 70's and 80's compared to the Japanese and German automobile business.

Harpo

I agree Rich.. Luckily I guess I'm not too hard on equipment because I have some OLD stuff.

BPS put out a Billy Westmorland line of rods that I loved. They had graphite models and fiberglass models and I used both, for differernt applications. Gradually of course, they stopped making those models and replaced them with newer ones. I like matched rod and reels so I had to buy four of the newer models. I still have one graphite and one fiberglass that I use with Penn spinning reels. Those two are thirty years old. :)

Bill

Sometimes it works the other way also.

I bought a rod at Walmart that I thought I liked.I paid $40 for it.

After using it for a few months,I made up my mind that I liked it and wanted another.When I went to the store to get one,they had a rack full of them on clearence to make room for new models.

6' , 6'6" ,7' ,all marked down to $11

So I bought one of each,and came home with change in my pocket....And had to show my wife the reciept because she didn't believe me.:D

Rich - I think you're referring to the Graphite Series Rods. (graphite gray blank, cork handles) I believe they have remained relatively unchanged since this generation's introduction in late 2000. The Quantum SXT's however, are now Quantum Snapshots. The rods are on sale now for under $20 (reg. $30) and the reels are about $25. Put the two together for that familiar, durable combo with a few minor cosmetic changes for under $50. Let me know if I can help!

Dan, I couldn't find the Quantum Snapshot at the store. I checked the counter as well as the blister pack reels and the sale islands.

For the Graphite Series, in the previous generation, there were 5'6" Medium and Medium Heavy one piece spinning rods. The new series, at least in the store inventory, antything under 6' is a light (or maybe ultra light), two piece rod. Do you know if the 5'6" one piece rods are still being carried?

Rich - The reels I mentioned that are the newest generation of the old Snapshot are on the wall in blister-packs (black card front with Quantum logo at the top), next to the sunglass racks beside the reel counter. They come in the same sizes and styles like their predecessors did at about $25 each. The Graphite Series Rods are available in 5'6" Med. one-piece and 6' Med. and 6' Med./Hvy one-piece as well as longer sizes and similar actions. (There's a 5'6" Light action two-piece also.) They're on sale for about $20 each. If you don't see the reels or the rods you want out on the racks, ask for Brian, Ray, or Dave (fishing leads) to hunt them down for you. They won't mind at all. (And if they do, tell 'em I told you to! LOL!!) If you can play hooky on a Friday, I'll fix you up myself! (I can get the rods/reels you want together for you and have them held behind the counter at your pick-up convenience as well.) If the rods aren't in stock, I can get them for you pretty quick. Then you can look at them and if you don't want them, they can be put on the rack for someone else, giving you the option and availability without taking the chance of them being there or not. Good luck and let me know if I can do anything.

Dan, if I'm in town, I'll swing by to see you Friday. Haven't had a chance to talk to you in a while and it would be good to catch up.

If you can set aside two 5'6" medium one-piece spinners, that would be great!

Thanks for the help!

Back