Fish/Ski Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan Book

Reaction score
I've been looking at some fish/ski boats (not real hard) and I've come to some sort of conclusion. I like the setups and layouts of older boats better than the newer boats. Such as, I think the Nitro's used to have some sort of rod storage in them, and now it seems like they don't. Also, unfortunetly it seems like the Nitro's have the least amount of storage options compared to others like Stratos (I've found that I LOVE their 2000 model), Javelins, and Champions. If I were to get a fish/ski (hopefully in the next few years) I would like to be able to store 3 or 4 6'6" rods and maybe a couple crappie rods along with some tackle and gear ... all out of sight. Am I dreaming, are there newer boats out there with these options other than possibly Ranger or Skeeter?

I like the idea of a fish/ski ... I just want a true FISH/ski ... not a SKI/fish.

What do you mean by, "buy what you want to do... Fish or ski" Both is what I want to do!! LOL :)

I know that they don't really make a good combination boat, but for a guy on a small budget (whenever I buy) I need something that pleases the mom and children!

I don't think a F/S is a small budget boat they run just as much as the same size and motor bass boat. The Ranger & Triton are true Fish & Ski boats and do make an excellent combination. Both have storage for poles, equipment w/ plenty of deck for fishing and also provide seating for 5. My Ranger w/deck extension in has more front deck space then a 185VS Ranger. I spent 4 months shopping for mine and decided on the Ranger because I loved the layout and Rangers reputation. I found that dealer customer service isn't always guaranteed but the manufacture certainly stands behind their product regardless if you are the first or 5th owner of a rig.

I love my boat the only reason I am selling mine is because my new parking spot has too many rocks and I don't want to scratch the hull or do worse. If I don't sell it I will keep it and take it south with me when I become a snowbird in 07 and it will find a warm home that will never require shrink wrap again.

Check out my library, there are some picks of my Ranger before the deck extension was added.

Cass :D

I love my Nitro 189 Sport fish and ski. I wouldn't mind a little extra storage but it has room for rods, built in cooler, skis, and a lot of other gear.

Ethan, I am in the process of bringing a neglected 1999 Sprint 207FS back to life. I picked this particular model because I felt it had fewer compromises than many fish and ski layouts.

It has a rear rod locker (in the deck behind the bench seat) that holds the three spinning rods my wife likes to use. She has complete access to all her tackle in the back of the boat, and we don't get in each other's way when unpacking, stowing or searching for lures.

Almost any fish and ski, to have a decent front deck, needs a center deck insert. I made one. I now have plenty of front deck space:

frontdeck4.JPG

I'm going to add centerline rod storage under that insert. As with most of these boats, the space under the center front deck is largely a void, so rod tubes can be easily inserted on the centerline.

Electronics mounting and dash space can be a problem with fish and skis, which is why many new models have the in-dash mounted finders. A crowded dash and the windshield basically leave you with no space to put new stuff.

I wanted a water pressure and trim gauge, so I had to remove a digital depth meter and a 12v outlet from the dash to make room. I moved the ignition and OMC diagnostic gauge to a lower position and put a BottomLine finder in place where the ignition had been, to give me a depth meter with a "built in" look. I exprimented with numerous mounting options prior to settling on this arrangement.

Before:

helm1.JPG

After:

newdash1.JPG

I've fished from this boat a few times as I've been working on it, and it is exceeding my expectations, and getting better with each tweak I make. I had something like this in my minds eye for a couple of years, and I decided, when I came across the 207FS, to invest the elbow grease to truly make it what I wanted.

I haven't ski'd or kneeboarded behind this boat yet. Hope to do that before the season is over.

I guess what I am saying is, keep your priorities in mind and keep looking until you see what you want. Don't give up on what's important to you. You may never find a perfect boat, but you can find one that is as close to perfect for you as possible.

Nice work Rich. I like what you are doing with the boat.

The 'solid' casting area is really nice. My 95 Stratos came with a 'casting deck', and it's just a great addition. I love it for two reasons. One, extra room to manuever around; two - I store 2+ tackle boxes and gear under it. The 'flip up' ability of my casting deck (manual flip up), allows me quick access to the tackle.

Especially like what you did with the depthfinder addition. Very nice.

Tex

Rich, that looks awesome!!! I agree with you, I think if I keep searching I will find what I need for our family. Both my wife and I love to fish, but we have two children (possibly more some day) and my in-laws love to spend whole days or weeks on the water doing the water sport thing and then we are usually left in the dust so I want something that people and my family would like to play in.

hey ethan,look at the nitro sport series.ive got the 288 and i keep 12 rods in it all between 6 and 7 foot.big front platform,tons of room,and me and the wife fish tournaments with it.i looked at all makes and nitro is the only 1 that has a livewell up front and in the back.that was a big selling point for me.plus the higher sides and windshield are nice when big storms come in.i cross big waters dureing storms that others wont.and i like to wakeboard and ski every now and then.give them a look.just my experience.

Back