Fish Head's and Trolling Motors

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Transplant

Reaction score
Well, I decided not to get the new trolling motor after all. While re-stocking the boat today after returning from the shop, I ran the trolling motor. Up, down, fast, slow, 12v, 24v. I decided that it was not making much noise, and maybe I just talked myself into needing to replace it. So I'll stick with it for awhile. Calling BPS to release the rain check.

On another note, I bought some of the new Fish Head Spin's (similar to the horsey head used by Marten's at the classic) this week. They arrived today - made by Spotsticker. Got 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 oz models in white and arkansas shiner. Going to try then out on Keowee tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes, and post some pic's of the baits when I return.

Tex

You'll love those Fish Head's! A friend of mine here on Lanier, Rick Steckelberg, makes them. (Donnie and a bunch of others distribute them.) He's cashed enough checks using them to make a believer out of me. I like the 3/8oz. white rigged with a white super fluke (shadee shad). You can use it in a variety of ways, my favorite is to count it down to about 8' (points, pilings, open water structure) and use a moderate steady retrieve, reeling it back to the boat. It can be deadly on big'ol spots! It works good as a drop bait on brush piles, too. Just drop it over the brush and soon as you feel it touch, snap it up about 3-4', letting it flutter down, then repeat. If there's an aggressive spot on that brush, he'll hit it on the first or second pump.

You think like I do on the TM. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" There'll always be a good TM deal when you need one.

Dan,

Thanks for the tips on the fishhead. Really a nice looking bait, and I was rigging a fluke on it tonight. Ready to go!

Just saw the wind prediction. Get's up to 23-25 by midnight, then starts dropping off. Supposed to be around 10-11mph in the morning - very manageable.

I'm goin' hunting for the 'wolfpack' tomorrow. I only get to Keowee once or twice a year, but really like it up there.

Tex

Well, I had a very satisfying trip to Keowee yesterday. Boat worked fine after the reprair - tach is back and no alarm problems. Getting used to the cleaned up prop, as it performs differently now.

We lauched about 8:45 and got going. Went up lake to the first set of points I had marked. Other than having the line break on my FIRST CAST and losing a brand new lure, everything started out fine.

At our third spot, I had a series of points marked. We went to the back and worked out. First point, on about the 10-12th cast, a very nice 3lb spot ate up my fish head spin/fluke combination. It is very satisfying to plan and try something new, and have it work out.

We fished some additional points, but were mostly just crusing and checking out water/areas. We then went uplake some more, to an area my buddy wanted to fish (and that I had familarity with). We went back in deep, to work out against the wind. I backed the boat into a very small (narrow) cut, so that he could work it. Put a decent keeper in the boat.

For the most part after that, we checked out new water and areas, with only modest amounts of actual fishing. Wind was up in the 12-15 mph range. Came up as soon as we moved to 'worm water'. Don't you just know it.

Found two or three other spots that I want to fish next weekend. Hoping to go early (Friday), to do a little more prefishing. Will probably just fish a minor amount, or fish with the hook bent down. Don't want to make the mistake to sore-mouth them the day before a tourney.

Thanks for the additional tips Dan. I used your suggested technique exactly as described.

Tex

Back