Fish and Ski question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Cozadd

Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of buying a used fish and ski. Just starting to look at them on the internet. What would be the smallest motor you would consider getting for a 17-18 foot boat? I want the option to be able to ski. I'm assuming you could get by with less if you were just tubing and knee boarding and such. I was thinking 115 hp in order to ski. I have seen a few rigged with 90hp and wasn't sure that would be able to do the job. By the way I'm 185 lbs.

Any other advice on fish and ski? Thanks

Hi Jeff

I have a 188 Sport with a 115 HP 4 stroke EFI Merc. It is underpowered without question for water sports like skiing and actually underpowered in general. If you have an option get the max rated for the boat. I think at least 150 HP would be appropriate.

Paul

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, max out the HP on your boat if you can afford it. Do it for when you need it on the water, performance, re-sale, mileage (as long as you are not WOT all the time), and piece of mind.

TOXIC

I have the 189 Sport(19ft) and I maxed out the HP(200), you will be sorry if you get one under powered and try skiing/tubing. I don't do either, but from the performance standpoint, and having 5 people on board my 200opti has no problem snappin necks:lol:

Gotta agree with everyone else here. I had a 188 Sport with 115 4-stroke and sold it because it was so underpowered. I would not pull up a single skier. Pulling tubes around was great and that's what the guy who bought it was going to do. I had a hard time getting it sold though and didn't get top dollar because of the motor. In the long run you will never regret maxing out horsepower. These are heavy boats and need as much help as possible.

NoCAL

Latest posts

Back