First time Boat Owner

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Stivers

Reaction score
I just purchased a '95 Nitro 170 DC Clunn edition. It's a very cherry boat...clean, clean, clean and the 115 Merc looks out of the crate NEW> So needless to say I'm pleased with the $5,000 I paid for it. I've had it out 3 times now and have encountered some issues I'd like some feedback on. FIRST, rod storage is dificult at best. Will not even consider putting my 7 footers in there. Any suggestions on how to make stowing rods less of a hassle? SECOND, the boat came equipped with a 5 speed,35# thrust trolling motor. Seems sluggish to me....should I upgrade and if so what thrust would be appropriate? And LASTLY, I need to purchase a cover....any suggestions as to source or where one might find a good used one? Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike, BPS has a sale on right now for a MotorGuide 70lb thrust 24volt TM with a Gator Breakaway,$399.99 I just ordered it and the Gator mount is impressive to say the least.

Chris

I'm with Chris on this. Get this deal while still available. Just be sure you have room for 2 12v batteries to run it. It is NOT a 12/24v rig, but 24v all the time.

On the rod space. Bigger boat - otherwise, improvise.

Congratulations!

Tex

Mike

My name is Mike also. I have the 93 version of your boat. A Ricky Clunn 170 with a 90 Evinrude on it. I upgraded to 24 volts at the dealer I'm super glad that I did. I have a motorguide with 45 pounds and that does pretty good.

I routinely store 7 foot rods in my rod lockers. You need to start by pushing the tip of the rod against the inside wall of the rod locker which is the inside of the hull. Then guide the tip forward. Make sure the rod tip is up about halfway from the floor of the compartment. With a little practice you can put all the rods in the locker in a couple of seconds. Don't leave a crankbait or any hooks on the tip of the rod or you'll hang them up on the wires for the bow light and front tilt control panel.

The boat is solid and I know several people still fishing this modle with no problems. I have unfortunately been caught in some big bad weather especially on the Dakota resevoirs and came home unscathed. I don't recommend it but it shows you the rig is sound.

The only other advice to give you is after coming off plane you need to goose it a bit to keep the wake from coming over the transom.

I also got rid of the Junk Tracker tires on the trailer. They prove to detread at the most unopportune times.

Post a photo of your rig.

good fishin

fatrap

Chris.....That MotorGuide 70lb thrust 24volt TM with a Gator Breakaway for $399.99 on sale now at BPS, how long will this be on sale? Does this have the variable speed?

THANKS

Marvin

5 speed, not sure how long the sale is? The mount hole should line up with your existing ones.

Oh BTW, you will need to order a plug and receptacle for it unless you have the huge receptacle that matches the plug it came with. Another $30 or so.

Mike, I also had problems with rod storage in my '94 RC 170 DC and even using fatraps suggestion the tips would sometimes get tangled especally at the most inopportune time. To correct this problem I bought several rod socks from BPS. These work great and the nylon socks slide in /out of locker quite easily. I also had a 61# Classic motorguide 24V. I say the more power the better , you never know when you will need to fight the current or wind.

Mike, I have the same boat from the 1993 year class with a Johnson 115. You will find that it was a very well built boat. It tows easy and will float in very little water. In the grab bag section of this site you will find a plan to redo your rod storage that works very well. I can store up to 10 rods in there now with two 7ft and 2 flippin sticks. They are tight but it works.

I am putting a Minn Kota 70A/T on mine this year. Had a

40A/T but in high winds it would not get the job done. I got a cover for mine from Cabelas in there bargan cave. Not a custom fit but it works for 1/2 price. I tried E-bay and other places but could not find one under $250 that would fit.

Speed on mine is in the low to mid 40mph range with a fair to simi slow hole shot. Going to be putting a S/S prop on when the ice finally goes out to help this. Any one out there that may have this boat and has a prop suggestion I am all ears. Looking at a 20 pitch raker.

Back