First Florida Experience

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
So, if I want my boat on the lift out in front of the house, I have to get my Landlords boat running and off the only lift that works (well it did work but that is another story). I am out on the dock cussing at his boat trying to get it started, swatting BIG wasps and sweating like a pig when I hear what can only be described as a "snort". If I was in the woods I would have sworn it was a buck tellin me I was in his territory. I look around and don't see anything and then I look over the side of the boat and there is this FACE in the water. Scared the crap outta me and I jumped back falling over the seat, into the bilge and smacked my noggin on the engine block. After I composed myself, I look back over the boat and there swimming around my dock are 6 Manatees!! A big bull (3-350lbs) 3 cows and 2 calfs. They hung around for about 1/2 hour then moved on down the river. That was just too cool and I am going to get some lettuce from the store to feed them if they come around again. That is the first time I have ever seen them in the wild. My landlord told me that there are also dolphin that frequent the river as well.

TOXIC

Too cool Tox. It scared me everytime I hooked something too heavy to be a bass this weekend as a kayaker was missing in the river I was fishing!

He still hasn't been found.

Enjoy that new place!

Randy!

Thanks for bringing back old memories, Tox. I grew up in DeLand, Florida, fishing on the St Johns. Manatees would surface and blow through the hyacynths right beside the boat. Always made me jump!

By the way, those "wasps" are probably mud daubers. They build the tube shaped nests you see under the roof of that dock. Never heard of them stinging a person, and they hunt spiders to feed their young. Anything that kills spiders is alright by me!

What the hell Hammer???

Why didn't you throw a Wong-Rig in there and bring one of those bad boys up for the MVM?

We coulda had a helluva Manatee roast.:angry:

toxic.

next time give them water out of the hose... this house on a canal in st pete has a bell and the damn things ring it and the owner turns the water on for them...funny...

mike c

Sea Cows are cool. The idle zones FL has put everywhere thanks to them, not so much! :p

Back