First Father/Son tourny of the year

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
Well we had our first father sone tourny this year on Spring Lake a tributary of Lake Michigan. Of course the wind was blowing about 1000 mph at the place that we wanted to fish. I know there was fish there but we couldnt even fish it because of the wind so we couldnt feel our baits with 1/4 oz sinkers on. We moved to another place that we knew held fish and that is where our issues started. We were fishin in about 2.5 feet of water and it started shallowing up and we ran up on a sunken canoe with cinder blocks and steel posts in it. We hit one of the posts and got hung up on it so we wasted a 1/2 hr of fishin trying to get off the stupid post. I finnaly had to jump in the drink in my skivvies, which thank god only knee deep, and push us off the post. We continued fishin and dad landed a 14 incher that we put in the livewell. We got into this little cut and my dad caught 2 more keepers. We had 3 of our 5 fish in the livewell in 1 hr of our 3 1/2 hour tourny. By the time my dad had our limit (5 fish), I had not even caught a fish let alone a bite. Well, I finnaly caught a fish which was a 15 incher so we culled a 14 incher. We went down one shoreline where I caught 6 fish all of which were 15 inchers and one 16 incher so we culled 4 more fish out. Then my dad caught a 17 incher that we culled one of the 15's with. So dad started culling the fish and then thought he let one too many go, which he did. We only had 5 minutes to fish with culling fish all night and then to have Dad throw one too many fish back that was a major heart breaker. So with the 5 minutes we had left I worked so hard for that last fish. I caught one shortie and Dad landed a keeper with 2 minutes before we had to go. We cleaned up the boat and made our way back to the launch and weighted our fish in. We placed 3rd with 9lbs 8ozs. We could not get the big fish to bite other wise we would have had it won. We lost first place by less than 1 pound. If we would have caught 1 3lb'er which that lake is very capable of giving up, we would have won. It was frustrateing for me to not cet a bite 2 hours into the tourny but I helped and turned it all around. It was a rocky start for me but I pulled my head out and got into the game. It was a fun night.

T.S.

C Monster,

Congratulations on your 3rd Place Finish!

I started fishing a team circut with my son this year, he's 15 and goining to be a junior in High School next year. We have had a blast fishing together this year and so far we are in 4th place in the points race with one more tournament left this Saturday.

We have done well so far and we just won our first tournament together. We had 16.40 pounds for a 5 fish limit and they were all Spotted Bass, Both Gregory and myself caught a fish that weighed 4.75 pounds.

Keep fishing hard I'm sure your dad is as proud of you as I am of my son Gregory.

Remember you're fishing as a team and every little thing that you do to help is very important to your success and enjoyment on the water.

Rip Lips,

Greg G

Gutz...

Good to see you posting... I have fished two and will fish a third Walleye Tourney with my son (22yrs old...he's now the "permanent sub" for my partner and me)... It is a great feeling to see him mature and grow in knowledge of "my" sport.

BTW... maybe more of you Bass Fishermen can graduate to walleyes...LOL... Its a real sport to fish them... j/k

Travis I bet you and your Dad have a great time fishing together as a team... I know I do when I'm with my son. Congrats on the great finish... top ten finishes consistently is the name of the game...

Back