Fire Extinguisher Location

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul P

Reaction score
My fire extinguisher is mounted in a prime bow storage compartment and I want to relocate it. Are there any regulations about where or where not it can be placed?

Thanks

Paul

Accessible... I put it under the driver's side console....

I guess I need to move mine, it's mounted in a rod locker.............

BF

Mine is mounted on the floor, driver's side, against the front of below-seat storage. Thought about relocating it to under the console, but figured if I ever come an abrupt halt I don't want it busting loose and hitting me in the leg...or elsewhere :blink:

Speaking of fire extinguishers, how long are they good for?

Gene

Gene,..there's a little green pin by the trigger,....that is a "tester",..push down on the pin and if it pops back up...the extinguisher is still good (they can last for years!!). If the pin stays pushed in,...then the ext. is no good and needs to be replaced!:D

Carry on,...

Mac

The only time I ever checked that little green pin was when a lake ranger in Texas gave me the allover. Thankfully it was OK.

Harpo

From past experience, dry chemical extinguishers can somewhat "harden" if not occasionally loosened-up. The powder will settle over a period of time from vibration and setting in one position too long. I occasionally take mine (even though it's fairly new) and lightly shake it to loosen powder. It won't propel if hard as a rock.

Waterwings

(20+ yrs in Navy damage control inspecting fire extinguishers)

:)

I've also got mine under the console. I'll have to "test" it, don't want anything burning on that Tracker. That would be ironicaly funny ,to see a aluminium boat in the MIDDLE of the water burning!!! I hope all of us NEVER see that or experience, or have to use our extingwishers!

I've heard that they are only "certified" for a limited time, like 4 or 5 years. I don't want to give a DNR officer anything he can write me for.

Gene

Well......mine has a tag on it for inspection dates and initials...hmmmm :unsure:

Back