Finnaly got Out!

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Duggan

Reaction score
Well i finnaly got out for the first time for the season.

the boat, motor, new aerator pump and Lowrance 520 all performed flawlesly.

i even managed a 2LB large mouth to boot. all in all a very good day (really more like 4hrs).

for all of you up here in the N East. Canobie Lake in Salem NH was approx 59F in the main lake and 60/61F in the coves. found 3 new beds, one of wich had a small smallie in it. seems early, but the water temps in that cove were 61F by 1:00.

First tourny next week, well see how we do.

gregD

Congrats Greg, that first trip of the season is always good, no matter how many you catch. My first trip is about 3 weeks away and I can't wait. Good luck with your tourney!

JP

Got out too Greg!

Little rainy and cool, managed to get a few between us. Biggest was my first of the day at about 2 1/4.

I haven't been out yet Greg, Boats home, got er started, just haven't registered it yet or the trailer. I live in Rochester, NH, and fish Lovell Lake and Upper / Lower Suncook quite frequently. Hope to get out in a couple of weeks tho. Congrats tho on first of the season. Jim

JC,

i have a summer house on Bow Lake. it seems we are right around the corner from each other. i havn't been up there yet this season.i heard that some of the lakes still have ice on them. i will be fishing a tourny on Pawtukaway this weekend coming, i iwas told that the bay of Fundy is so low that we may not be able to get out to the main lake...

hopfully the rains this week will fill up the low water problem.

i have never fished suncook. should i look into it this season? i have heard of the lakes but never been out there.

GregD

Greg,

It seems like the water is warming up earlier then normal this year for sure.Ive noticed it everywhere ive been so far this year that the water has been warmer then normal.

I had my first tourament of the season on Long Pond in lakeville on sat and the main lake was 61 in the morning and the little horseshoe canal at the end of the lake where i fished all day was close to 65. I would have expected it to be that warm in mid may, not late april. There were lots of bass on beds there and even more crusing the breakline looking for a place to spawn. I ended up fishing about a 200' stretch all day on the breakline where the water went from shallow and sandy and broke into deeper water. There were fish all over the place on that break just crusing. I literally went back and forth on that break all day long and ended up with a about 10.5# on the day and i lost a 5# due to a bad knot or i would have had like 14. It was good enough for first by over 2# and i took lunker too. All in all not a bad way to start the season in my new boat.

Bruce, hows the new boat running? Im slowly but surelry getting mine dialed in.

Jim,

congrats on the win. nice way to start the season.

i hear that winni is offically open as of last weekend. one other report was newfound was open with small pieces of ice floating around the main body, temps recorded in the high 30s.

i was able to get to test the 520. i am very impressed with the color screen. it was extremely visable during the bright sun on saturday, i sure have a lot to learn about reading the graph. i was able to clear up the clutter on the screen, but it seemed to be marking fish everywere. temp and bottom depth seemed to be right on. i will have to spend more time with the manuall on the water.

any tips you have for tuning the sonar? i am not sure if it is the unit or the operator.

GregD

Jim

The boat's running great. Got to open it up yesterday at Barehill and only running 5200 rpm's. I'm 5" below, but can not raise the jackplate for some reason. The center lift nut is all bent out of shape, Bob is ordering me a new one. In the mean time I'm trying to look at it to see if anything is hanging it up.

Greg - you'll have to drive south for some warm water ;)

Bruce,

i thought about driving to MA for some warmer water on saturday. i was going to hit lake Attitash. but i figured it would be close if not the same temp as Canobie.

if you havn't fished lake Attitash in Amsbury you should give it a shot, it is worth the trip and there are some really good quality largemouth in that lake..

not to mention the ocasional pike.

GregD

Bruce,

You did loosen up the 4 side bolts before you tried to jack it up right? I know that sounds like a dumb question but i know someone who tried to kack his up without doing that and snapped the adjuster bolt off clean on a cmc plate(no that guy wasnt me).

I figured someone was going to ask that :lol::lol:

Ya, the 4 bolts were loose and off the plates. Before destroying the aluminum adjuster I took it off to have a look. The threads don't go all the way thru to the bottom, so I'm going to tap it to see if that helps. I put a new bolt and washer on to the if that would make a difference, but it would still not budge! However, it's difficult to do by myself due to the position of trying to hold one wrench and crank the other :(

Greg - Attitash may be a good locale for out N.E. mini rally!

Ya, the 4 bolts were loose and off the plates. Before destroying the aluminum adjuster I took it off to have a look. The threads don't go all the way thru to the bottom, so I'm going to tap it to see if that helps. I put a new bolt and washer on to the if that would make a difference, but it would still not budge! However, it's difficult to do by myself due to the position of trying to hold one wrench and crank the other :(

Ya, the 4 bolts were loose and off the plates. Before destroying the aluminum adjuster I took it off to have a look. The threads don't go all the way thru to the bottom, so I'm going to tap it to see if that helps. I put a new bolt and washer on to see if that would make a difference, but it would still not budge! However, it's difficult to do by myself due to the position of trying to hold one wrench and crank the other :(

Thats strange. Mine moves very easily both up and down. Just a crank on the top nut in the center is all i need.

Bruce Y - You might want to try that nut after trimming the L/U down on a block of wood SLIGHTLY to relieve some of the weight off the nut. (On the trailer, I'll drop the bottom to a block until the trailer slightly relieves from the weight of the transom lifting.) Getting the pressure off the nut should make it turn easily. If not, something is definietly wrong with the plate. Good luck!

NE Mini Rally at Attitash?

count me in. as i said before, i will travel to meet up with all of you guys. lets try to put something together before we all have plans for the summer.

GregD

Dan - I'll try that.

Jim - Nah, it doesn't budge. The plate I had on the TV18 had no problem raising it.

Greg - I'm up for most anything. NH is an option if I can hitch a ride.

Bruce,

i have an open passenger seat anytime you want to fish NH. drop me an email.

JimB, Bill The MadKyaker, and anybody else interested?

GregD

Back