fine details of upcoming purchase

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Mark

Reaction score
I appreciate the few replies to my original post about my 1st "new" boat purchase a few weeks ago,

now for another question......trolling motor,

I'm upgrading from the stock Minnkota 12V motor the Targa 17 comes with to a Minnkota 24V w/built-in transducer, should a 65lb be enough for that boat, or should I go to the 74lb? And Powerdrive model or Maxxum model (reasoning please)? The Targa will have a 115 Opti hanging on the back.

As a side note, the dealer has a way to get me in a DC version of the Targa! He is going to take a WT, remove the walk-through windshield, & install 2 SC windscreens in it's place! The consoles are identical from the SC to the WT. Makes me a happy guy, I wanted a DC as I don't like the windshield appearance of the WT, but the wife will want some wind protection. With the WT I get the nicer color combination, Burlwood trim, AM/FM/Cd, & all it will cost me is $75 per windscreen, including installation to get a DC Targa!. (& I get to keep the WT windshield if anyone needs a replacement once I get the deal done & take delivery)

A spring Tracker Owner I shall be!!

Mark

Mark, if you are going be fishing the big lakes in WI, bigger is always better when it comes to TM's if you have the $$. I have the 67lb, MG, 24v, on my 929 and with 3 guys in the Wolf river current, I couldn't hold in some spots. Back here in VA, I am fine. Look at your water and needs but you can't go wrong with bigger thrust TM's.

TOXIC

I agree Tox...you can NEVER have too much power when it comes to trollers:)

ok, the 74 it will be, kinda where I was leaning anyways, but anyone care to chime in on the Powerdrive VS Maxxum issue? I know electric steer vs cable, different foot controlers...... which is better, easier to use, more durable, what is everyones opinion??? Thx all, want to make sure I do this order right!!

I had a Targa 18. I'd get the bigger TM if it doesn't squeeze the budget too much. Make sure it has a long enough shaft, as with a Targa, it will need to be. Otherwise, first time in a heavy chop, your blade will keep coming out of the water.

Tex

I like mine simple. Too many bells and whistles is just more stuff to break or wear out. Less stuff to go wrong....auto pilot and coffee maker not necessary on a TM......IMHO...

TOXIC

I have the Maxxum 74 and it will pull the boat all day long with no problems. Mine has the slow start feature on it that takes a little getting used to but at least no one gets thrown out of the boat if it is on a high setting when I step on it.

I have the same boat and motor with a 65lb auto pilot. I like the auto pilot because I cruise banks a lot fishing for bass, and it is great to stay on course. If you need to adjust, tap the pedal and it will keep you on that heading. Especially handy if you need to retie, or help your partner. Only problem can be the wind. You are going to love your boat next spring. I sure am happy sith mine.

Back